Author Topic: Broken IC on old Pentium 2 motherboard  (Read 13102 times)

Offline magic

• Super Contributor
Re: Broken IC on old Pentium 2 motherboard
« Reply #50 on: December 02, 2019, 11:23:31 pm »
Probably won't work unless you can also underclock the CPU with jumpers but what the heck, better than waiting a month :P

Offline Rasz

• Super Contributor
    • My random blog.
« Reply #51 on: December 03, 2019, 12:57:28 am »
Yeah i cannot believe it! Thanks for the info. And again, thank you for all your input and knowledge about this. Will keep you posted when the HIP6004CB (What i think is the right  :-DD) Found a seller on ebay in china.

"1PCS HIP6004BCB HIP6004BCB-T SOP20 SMD Buck and Synchronous-Rectifier PWM
 $3.28 or Best Offer FREE Economy International Shipping" one also looks good

Probably will have to wait over a month again. Seem to be impossible to get hold of these in Europe?

20 year old highly time period specific (relevant for only ~3-4 years) chip, I would look for Slot1/socket370 motherboards with compatible chip at the scrap/local classifieds, or hotwire $3 "100W" chinese DC-DC module
Who logs in to gdm? Not I, said the duck.
My fireplace is on fire, but in all the wrong places.

Offline pcmad

• Regular Contributor
    • module web design
« Reply #52 on: December 03, 2019, 01:31:13 am »
i got lot of old  Pentium 2 motherboard if you need parts pm me

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #53 on: December 03, 2019, 01:43:44 am »
Waiting a month doesn't seem so bad if it means getting exactly the correct part you need to fix your board.

Offline NiHaoMike

• Super Contributor
  • "Don't turn it on - Take it apart!"
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #54 on: December 03, 2019, 02:42:27 am »
I have run a 733MHz P3 underclocked to 533MHz on 1.25V (normal core voltage about 1.8V) for a pfSense router in order to reduce heat and power consumption, worked flawlessly for years until it was replaced with a newer system. (Quite a few pfSense builders back in the day did similar stuff, although undervolting was not very common.)
Cryptocurrency has taught me to love math and at the same time be baffled by it.

Cryptocurrency lesson 0: Altcoins and Bitcoin are not the same thing.

Offline spilihpsTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #55 on: December 03, 2019, 08:27:14 am »
Yeah i cannot believe it! Thanks for the info. And again, thank you for all your input and knowledge about this. Will keep you posted when the HIP6004CB (What i think is the right  :-DD) Found a seller on ebay in china.

"1PCS HIP6004BCB HIP6004BCB-T SOP20 SMD Buck and Synchronous-Rectifier PWM
 $3.28 or Best Offer FREE Economy International Shipping" one also looks good

Probably will have to wait over a month again. Seem to be impossible to get hold of these in Europe?

20 year old highly time period specific (relevant for only ~3-4 years) chip, I would look for Slot1/socket370 motherboards with compatible chip at the scrap/local classifieds, or hotwire $3 "100W" chinese DC-DC module

Yeah, that will also work. But i ordered "5PCS HIP6004CB Encapsulation:SOP" instead. Do have the exact (atleast in the title) as in the datasheet we used.

Waiting a month doesn't seem so bad if it means getting exactly the correct part you need to fix your board.

Yes you are right! And hopefully it will be the right part this time  :-DD

I have run a 733MHz P3 underclocked to 533MHz on 1.25V (normal core voltage about 1.8V) for a pfSense router in order to reduce heat and power consumption, worked flawlessly for years until it was replaced with a newer system. (Quite a few pfSense builders back in the day did similar stuff, although undervolting was not very common.)

Thats cool, thanks for the input. Although tempting, i will just have to wait :-//

Probably won't work unless you can also underclock the CPU with jumpers but what the heck, better than waiting a month :P

Haha yes!

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #56 on: December 30, 2019, 09:59:48 pm »
Update to this never ending story!

I recieved the IC today, solder it in place. and 2.0V!! Plugged in the CPU, No go..
No VGA..

With the CPU in the slot, i get 1.98V..

CPU toast, or maybe something else?

Offline pcmad

• Regular Contributor
    • module web design
« Reply #57 on: December 31, 2019, 12:29:05 am »
how are the caps
i had to replace capn on i few slot 1 recently

quick way to cheak turn in on leve it for 10 mins and feel which caps and warm / hot

also

try using IPA to clean the cpu slot thatcan also fix a non runner

Offline Rasz

• Super Contributor
    • My random blog.
« Reply #58 on: December 31, 2019, 03:02:54 am »
You will need another CPU as a sanity check, its highly probably current one received 12V. better yet another working slot1 system to check all components (ram, vga).

I assume you did plug PC speaker? :) Post card is your friend, they are $4 Free International Shipping nowadays.
You can use keyboard in lieu of a post card as a makeshift indicator for running CPU:
-connect only motherboard/ram/cpu/supply and keyboard
-power on, watch for keyboard leds blinking - keyboard controller initialization is very early in the boot sequence

also try with no ram and listen for pcspeaker, beeping for no ram is even earlier in BIOS boot sequence.

Alternatively you can make your very own post card with 74LS138, 74LS374 or 74LS688, 74LS244 and 8 leds or $4 CY7C68013A ebay board.

..or just stick oscilloscope/logic probe on isa address/data bus (or BIOS chip legs) and watch for any activity.

You might find this thread helpful to get an idea of how to approach debugging: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/repair/how-to-troubleshoot-your-defective-386486-motherboard-with-an-oscilloscope/

Its possible CPU was killed by 12V and while dying passed it to the chipset. Are you up for BGA replacement lessons? might be fun! :)
« Last Edit: December 31, 2019, 03:16:43 am by Rasz »

Offline magic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #59 on: December 31, 2019, 08:50:03 am »
Beware that some keyboards blink by themselves when power is applied.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #60 on: December 31, 2019, 02:53:24 pm »
You will need another CPU as a sanity check, its highly probably current one received 12V. better yet another working slot1 system to check all components (ram, vga).

I assume you did plug PC speaker? :) Post card is your friend, they are $4 Free International Shipping nowadays.
You can use keyboard in lieu of a post card as a makeshift indicator for running CPU:
-connect only motherboard/ram/cpu/supply and keyboard
-power on, watch for keyboard leds blinking - keyboard controller initialization is very early in the boot sequence

also try with no ram and listen for pcspeaker, beeping for no ram is even earlier in BIOS boot sequence.

Alternatively you can make your very own post card with 74LS138, 74LS374 or 74LS688, 74LS244 and 8 leds or $4 CY7C68013A ebay board.

..or just stick oscilloscope/logic probe on isa address/data bus (or BIOS chip legs) and watch for any activity.

You might find this thread helpful to get an idea of how to approach debugging: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/repair/how-to-troubleshoot-your-defective-386486-motherboard-with-an-oscilloscope/

Its possible CPU was killed by 12V and while dying passed it to the chipset. Are you up for BGA replacement lessons? might be fun! :)

The speaker is not to be trusted in this, i cannot remember if i ever heard it beep. And my other chassis are at storage right now  :palm:
And i know i have a second CPU somewere, turned upside down on the house looking for it without any luck!

However, i hooked the scope up to the ISA slot, and probed around. There is "traffic" on both adress and data with the CPU in the slot, and nothing without the CPU.

A Post-card seems to a very good idea in this case. Any schematics for this? i do have the logic chips you refer to, but the schematic i found were for a more advanced one with LED-display & EPROM and such.

I do however have access to a logic analyzer.

Offline magic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #61 on: December 31, 2019, 08:21:08 pm »
Where I live I could buy one cheaply on a local auction site and have it here by the end of the week.

In fact, I have one, exactly form such source, procured in circumstances similar to yours.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #62 on: January 01, 2020, 07:22:31 pm »
Just buy a POST card, they are so ridiculously cheap now, it's not worth your time to build one even if you have the ICs.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #63 on: January 01, 2020, 07:27:08 pm »
Hehe yeah, well. Only available in china = 1 month delivery time again. So in total i have waited for parts from china for 3 months for this board  ;D ;D ;D

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #64 on: January 01, 2020, 07:29:40 pm »
Just start a few more projects, then you'll have something to work on while you wait for parts to show up for the other stuff.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #65 on: January 02, 2020, 06:17:31 pm »
So i managed to dig out a speaker finally!

So with the ram in (tried 3 different sticks, they were mounted during the chrash though) i get 1 long 3 fast beeps.

Without any memory seated i get repeat of one long beep.

I cannot remeber what bios this board has. It has a fancy sticker stuck to one of the ISA ports that says "award" Dont know if that referrs to the bios or not.
That would suggest that its a video card problem, however if its AMI bios then the fault code is for RAM.

Edit: The fault code is the same with or without the video-card, but i guess that RAM check comes first.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2020, 06:19:23 pm by spilihps »

Offline madao

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #66 on: January 02, 2020, 06:29:46 pm »
Did you know  manufacture or modell of motherboard?

Pentium 2 era , award bios is common. I have never seeing  Penitum II /III computer with AMI bios. Phoenix bios is a niche.

Pentium II motherboard with  440BX chipset is my farvoit board, i have use it long (at frist old slot1 with 440BX and Celeron 333A @ 500. Later use i Asus CUBX with Pentium III 1Ghz )

Greetings
matt
« Last Edit: January 02, 2020, 06:33:35 pm by madao »

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #67 on: January 02, 2020, 06:33:16 pm »
Actually i cannot find any manufacturer name on it, its just "INTEL-BX-B" So hard to tell..

Wonder if the video card died during or because this also then? It has 5 tantalum capacitors on it

Offline madao

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #68 on: January 02, 2020, 06:42:38 pm »
Have you ISA / PCI  graphics card?
Try with it.

Oh, Intel-BX-B is too simple name for motherboard.  Why  have i right guess, it have 440BX.  8)

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #69 on: January 02, 2020, 06:48:44 pm »
Yeah, i will see if i have another grahic card, my suspicion is that i dont have another "1-slot" AGP nor any pci graphics on hand though

Offline Rasz

• Super Contributor
    • My random blog.
« Reply #70 on: January 02, 2020, 06:55:38 pm »
http://rayer.g6.cz/hardware/postcard.htm google should be able to translate this
all you need is address decoding to trigger on 80h writes and a latch to catch the value, you can either output to 8 led array or read it with logic analyser, better yet if your LA is 16 bit just wire it up to 8 data bits, IOW pin and couple address bus pins including A7 for partial address decode, enough to catch all 80h port writes, we are mostly interested in the last one anyway

but I would try another graphic card first
BTW another way to see if cpu is running is clicking CAPS/SCROLL/NUM LOCK and looking at the keyboard LEDs, this operation is done 100% in software

nevermind, I see you confirmed running CPU :)

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/BHYAAOSwl8ZdX~JJ/s-l1600.jpg WTF is this brand?
at lest I can confirm bios is Award
edit:
FYI (Full Yes) 82440BX   03/01/1999-i440BX-SMC60X-2A69KF39C-00   INTEL-BX VER:B_1.2
FYI (Full Yes Industrial)

another example of FYI board https://pc.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/article/980603/fyi1.jpg from COMPUTEX TAIPEI 98 expo https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=ja&u=https://pc.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/article/980603/cmptx0.htm&prev=search
white dim slots and overal design are quite a tell
« Last Edit: January 02, 2020, 07:12:34 pm by Rasz »

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #71 on: January 02, 2020, 07:58:53 pm »
http://rayer.g6.cz/hardware/postcard.htm google should be able to translate this
all you need is address decoding to trigger on 80h writes and a latch to catch the value, you can either output to 8 led array or read it with logic analyser, better yet if your LA is 16 bit just wire it up to 8 data bits, IOW pin and couple address bus pins including A7 for partial address decode, enough to catch all 80h port writes, we are mostly interested in the last one anyway

but I would try another graphic card first
BTW another way to see if cpu is running is clicking CAPS/SCROLL/NUM LOCK and looking at the keyboard LEDs, this operation is done 100% in software

nevermind, I see you confirmed running CPU :)

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/BHYAAOSwl8ZdX~JJ/s-l1600.jpg WTF is this brand?
at lest I can confirm bios is Award
edit:
FYI (Full Yes) 82440BX   03/01/1999-i440BX-SMC60X-2A69KF39C-00   INTEL-BX VER:B_1.2
FYI (Full Yes Industrial)

another example of FYI board https://pc.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/article/980603/fyi1.jpg from COMPUTEX TAIPEI 98 expo https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=ja&u=https://pc.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/article/980603/cmptx0.htm&prev=search
white dim slots and overal design are quite a tell

The first image seem to be exactly my board!

I managed to find a box full of old parts, and a AGP card! The card now works FINALLY!!!!
So all the ram and cpu survived, but the graphics card died.

I know that it died the same second as the IC, because i was using it at the time.
Rasz, are you up for another thread, trying to repair the graphic card?  :-DD :-DD :-DD

Also i want to thank everyone that chipped with knowledge on this, and extra special thanks to Rasz for all your knowledge regarding these old board.

Offline magic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #72 on: January 02, 2020, 09:01:09 pm »
It probably was the 12V rail that killed this regulator. So insert the card and find with continuity tester where 12V goes on the card.

Probably another regulator. If you are lucky it may even have a hole in it ;)

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #73 on: January 02, 2020, 11:04:42 pm »
It probably was the 12V rail that killed this regulator. So insert the card and find with continuity tester where 12V goes on the card.

Probably another regulator. If you are lucky it may even have a hole in it ;)

Well I don't seem so lucky!

The card does not seem to have so much intelligent chips on it besides the main CPU. And after a quick glance the AGP 12v trace just goes straight up to some sort of expansion header.. not sure if it even uses 12v?

There is one chip with the name REG1 TL431 it has:
3.3v on pin 1 and 2.5 on pin 8

Offline madao

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #74 on: January 03, 2020, 03:41:32 am »
 |O  ATI RAGE..... i hate him,  driver problem (instabilty & wrong color) make me to much rage !

This was why, i swapped stealhy this card with Matrox G200 cards on shool 20 years ago.

Old AGP card use directly 3.3V, no voltage regulator.
TL431 is reference voltage regulator, it is too weak for power application.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf