Author Topic: Brother MFC-L8690 supercap replacement  (Read 156 times)

Offline justaguyTopic starter

• Contributor
Brother MFC-L8690 supercap replacement
« on: March 19, 2024, 09:19:15 am »
A common defect on many Brother printers is the failure of a supercap on the main board. Symptom is the difficulty to turn the printer on unless you remove the power cord, keep the power button pressed for about 1 min and then put the power cord back on. There are scattered information on this problem on the web but nothing on this specific printer model, so I´m writing a quick note to
- confirm that also this model is affected and can be repaired
- attach a couple photos with the location of the supercap, so you don´t have to disassemble the whole printer looking for it
The main board is located on the left side; you have to open the left side panel by removing 4 screws and wrestle with the plastic clips that secure it in place. You will find the capacitor on the bottom left corner of the board, under a metal shield. You can do a proper job by removing all the connectors, extracting the board and reworking the component, or go the lazy route: clip the terminals of the old component as close as possible to the body and solder the new one to those terminals (guess which way I went). Before removing the supercap I measured 0.6V across its terminals, which sounds on the low side whatever the right voltage was supposed to be. On the web I found that the cap should be 0.22F 5.5V, however on my board I found a 0.33F. I suppose both values should work  :-//.
I hope this helps.

Offline Haenk

• Super Contributor
Re: Brother MFC-L8690 supercap replacement
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2024, 02:05:57 pm »
My dad has one of these (not sure if it's the same model, but at least pretty similar) - with the same symptoms. For now, pulling the plug does the job; one day, I'll have to replace the cap for sure.
Hacking it in seems like a good idea :)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf