Author Topic: Brushes in an universal motor: opinion on their condition  (Read 619 times)

Offline golden_labelsTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Brushes in an universal motor: opinion on their condition
« on: May 21, 2024, 11:24:30 pm »
I’m a newbie regarding electric motors. Worn out brushes I’ve seen previously were usually much shorter.(1) Would you consider these to be still fine?

These come from an universal motor from a cheap paper shredder. Fixing it is likely not financially reasonable, but I won’t mind learning something. :)

Also: yes, they were mounted perpendicular to their original profile.

(1) I’ve just realized I forgot to take photos showing the brushes’ size. They are 4×5 mm, currently 10 mm in length. Certainly still pushing well against the commutator.
People imagine AI as T1000. What we got so far is glorified T9.

Offline johansen

• Super Contributor
Re: Brushes in an universal motor: opinion on their condition
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2024, 01:23:11 am »
Whats the problem?

Offline Jeff eelcr

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2024, 01:41:22 am »
Most pictures look strangely worn, 1 looks normal.
Jeff

Offline perieanuo

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2024, 07:24:25 am »
change them, pressure and shape taking rotor shape is the key

Offline wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2024, 07:34:17 am »
Looks weird, as if brushes were misaligned with commutator and one side has no wear at all, the same as 2/3 of commutator.  Does the brush size match the slot size properly? And are the brush slots located correctly above the commutator?
« Last Edit: May 22, 2024, 07:37:19 am by wraper »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2024, 08:19:48 am »
Whats the problem?
The distal issue is overheating.

Brushes are something I just noticed while cleaning the entire drive assembly. I don’t have any strong motivation to replace them: the entire shredder costed $20 when new. But I don’t mind learning something about evaluating the state of the brushes. All I have seen in my life lost most of their length, had obvious cracks etc. These here seem just weird.

Most pictures look strangely worn, 1 looks normal.
The collage is a close-up, each photo about 5–6 mm in width. Perhaps the magnification make it look unfamiliar. The first picture is a general view of brushes and the commutator.

Looks weird, as if brushes were misaligned with commutator and one side has no wear at all, the same as 2/3 of commutator.  Does the brush size match the slot size properly? And are the brush slots located correctly above the commutator?
The brushes look as if they were originally profiled to work with a completely different configuration. The wedged surface seems to be cut like that. It is mostly not touched. The commutator touches the brushes along the wider axis, at the tip. You can see a dip in that direction on the first, bigger photo.

I see nothing wrong with slots.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2024, 10:51:58 am by golden_labels »

Offline coromonadalix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2024, 02:38:54 pm »
or the rotor is not centred on the brush surface ??

anyway  its not normal,  to have wear in non uniform fashion ?

Offline wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2024, 07:55:33 pm »
The brushes look as if they were originally profiled to work with a completely different configuration. The wedged surface seems to be cut like that. It is mostly not touched. The commutator touches the brushes along the wider axis, at the tip. You can see a dip in that direction on the first, bigger photo.
Then it's weird but brushes are barely worn. With more wear there will be full commutator coverage. IMHO leave it as is.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2024, 03:17:30 am by wraper »

The following users thanked this post: golden_labels

Offline BrokenYugo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2024, 07:59:46 pm »
Small cheap paper shredders are just prone to overheating in my experience, and the page ratings must be assuming something like newspaper, run it at half capacity max. If it takes at least a few batches of a few sheets in a row to trip the thermal overload and doesn't let the smoke out it's probably working correctly.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2024, 08:18:35 pm »
Thank you all for confirming, that it’s not only my inexperience and there is something weird with those brushes.

The wedged side of a brush is aligned with rotor’s axis:

As for overheating (the original issue) of cheap shredders: it wasn’t doing this before. Now it’s failing to shred 2 sheets, inserted separately.  Mother asked me to check it. It has some years, grease is everywhere but on the gears, a few pieces of paper mixed with grease stuck in gears and inside the motor. Before throwing it away I decided to clean and regrease the drive and blades. I found those weird brushes inside and considered that an opportunity to educate myself more.

For the record: Tracer TRANIS40566.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2024, 08:20:32 pm by golden_labels »

Offline wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2024, 03:25:06 am »
I guess it's some oddball version of this that allows brush wearing the shape of commutator faster. Nice drawings BTW.

« Last Edit: May 23, 2024, 03:27:44 am by wraper »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf