Author Topic: Bugera Trirec Guitar Amp....  (Read 5908 times)

Offline whipmanTopic starter

• Contributor
Bugera Trirec Guitar Amp....
« on: January 07, 2015, 02:51:18 pm »
Greetings All,
I'm in the process of repairing a Bugera Trirec amp and I've narrowed it down to the 5V DPDT relays on the front control panel. My question is this. Of the 10 relays (when activated) 1 shows 5V at the coil the other 9 show 21-23 volts. Is 21-23 volts normal for a 5V relay? Am I doing something wrong?Thanks in advance!

Offline Anks

• Frequent Contributor
    • www.krisanks.wordpress.com
Re: Bugera Trirec Guitar Amp....
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2015, 04:55:37 pm »
I'm confused as to what your actually measuring and what point of reference for the voltages your using. try measuring the voltages across the relays. Also are you sure the relays are 5 volt.

What exactly is your issue with the trirec. I maybe able to help.

Offline Richard Crowley

• Super Contributor
  • KJ7YLK
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2015, 05:02:29 pm »
If you mean that you are measuring 21-23V across the coil when energized, then NO that is not "normal".
Assuming nominal conditions here.  You aren't seeing some artifact of pulsed/switched drive current, etc.
And assuming you mean "steady-state" and not some kind of transient when powered or released, etc. etc.

However, It is hard to imagine how this symptom (however atypical) could have caused any change in how the unit is performing?????

You question only raises a dozen more questions.

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2015, 05:37:09 pm »
OK. A little more detail. I'm measuring + & - across the coil legs. The amp has various gain stages controlled by these relays and yes they are all standard 5V DPDT micro relays. It's a 3 channel amp that sounds fine clean. Once you begin switching channels for the various gain stages it goes from hissy to toneless and muffled. I've repaired tons of amps and have eliminated the usual preamp / power amp suspects. It's definitely in these relays / relay circuit somewhere. The channel selection is fine the gain stages are a mess. Thanks Guys!

Offline krivx

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2015, 06:13:48 pm »
How are the relays driven? Have you tested those circuits? A large voltage across a relay would suggest that a protection diode may be dead, and that the relay drive may also be toasted.

Offline Seekonk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2015, 06:30:52 pm »
It sounds rather odd that one relay would have 5V and others have a much higher voltage.  All relays should be powered from the same voltage source.

Offline krivx

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2015, 06:32:55 pm »
If there is no diode across the relay a larger voltage may build up. Driving the relay is switching an inductive load.

Offline Richard Crowley

• Super Contributor
  • KJ7YLK
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2015, 06:38:41 pm »
You did NOT mention whether the relays were actually SWITCHING when the voltage was applied to the coil?
I can't imagine how nominal 5V relay coils would last very long with 4-5x volgage across them?
Have you measured the resistance of those coils?  Are the relay coils already burned out?
Do you have a schematic diagram that shows the power source and switching circuit for these relays?
It is almost shooting in the dark trying to offer any advice with virtually no context here.

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2015, 06:49:02 pm »
Not yet on the resistance. I shut it down when I saw those numbers. It's a little difficult as the board is still in the amp. I'm going to pull the board (major pita) then post back. Right now I'm working with a small mirror and led light to get a look at things.Thanks!

Offline kezat

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2015, 10:48:17 pm »
With the limited access and the use of a mirror it could be easy to mix pins up, are you sure your measuring the Coil and not the output or a combination their of?

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2015, 02:14:25 am »
Turns out I had the right amp but wrong notes!  I'm working on 3 different amps and wrote down the issues for each one & grabbed the wrong sheet of paper. Anyway, the one I originally posted about has 24V relays. Hence the "high" voltage readings. Ater I took it apart I realized my mistake. Sorry guys. As for the mirror I wasn't using it for the pins I was using it to try to read the numbers on the relays which are located on a pcb behind the front panel of the amp. I had clear access to the pins all along.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf