Author Topic: CapXons about to blow their top  (Read 13818 times)

Offline TomS_Topic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Re: CapXons about to blow their top
« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2015, 09:08:14 pm »
There is a huge difference between Cisco's consumer stuff and enterprise/service provider NEs. If you are looking for consumer stuff, there are better and less expensive products from other manufacturers.

Exactly. I think they tried to brush off a bit of their "expectation of quality and things" on to Linksys when they bought it by plastering their logo all over that stuff.

But it was still designed as consumer gear, and probably "cut a lot of the same corners" that other consumer gear used, so you still got the consumer experience regardless of the Cisco logo. Possibly a bad move on their part...

The Cisco gear Im using runs IOS and has serial console ports that are deliberate - the real stuff. :-)

Offline jitter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #26 on: December 22, 2015, 11:29:31 am »
Contrast that to a Cisco VPN router I bought new in 2005 and it started going intermittent after two years, while a cheap Belkin router of about the same age was still working fine. Three of my friends have also had Cisco routers break down on them in 2-3 years. Cisco seems to be just like HP - once considered one of the best, now one of the worst.

My advice would always be to first try another AC/DC adapter (aka wall wart, plug pack, powerbrick) of suitable ratings before condemning the router/modem/whatever is powered from it. I've had routers, modems, repeaters and media players fail on me, most with intermittent symptoms at first. So far it *always* turned out to be the power supply (wall wart or built in) and not the actual device itself.

I then either repaired the built in PSU with decent caps or replaced the adapter with a 50% higher rating (e.g. from 1 A to 1.5 A). This increase in capacity greatly increases life expectancy and usually costs only a few $/€ extra.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2015, 04:25:08 pm by jitter »

Offline NiHaoMike

• Super Contributor
  • "Don't turn it on - Take it apart!"
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #27 on: December 22, 2015, 06:57:38 pm »
Actually, I opened the router itself and it was bad caps. I replaced them with some surplus OSCONs and it was good to go for a few more years. Also fixed another Cisco for a friend and it was also bad caps. But those power supplies do often fail.

13.6mF is a lot of capacitance especially for an old G router. My AC1200 Trendnet, in contrast, came with a 1000uF cap on the PA supply rail, which I upgraded to 2200uF along with a few other upgrades like better cooling and high gain antennas.
Cryptocurrency has taught me to love math and at the same time be baffled by it.

Cryptocurrency lesson 0: Altcoins and Bitcoin are not the same thing.

Offline nukie

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #28 on: December 22, 2015, 10:41:05 pm »
If you're thinking of coming back a year later with tools, try getting your tools through airport security! They wont like it.

Hey school holidays is it???

I travel with an assortment of electronics tools that isn't small, europe, Asia, usa, been checked by quarantine X rays no questions asked. There was once two rolls of solder was mistaken for handcuff in Singapore, was asked to open my bags, that was it. I fly five times a year. Always check in my tools. If i cant bring my tools then my job is gone. Please don't spew nonsense here keep your bullshit to your self, merry Christmas.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2015, 10:45:14 pm by nukie »

Offline TomS_Topic starter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #29 on: December 22, 2015, 11:07:40 pm »
I travel with an assortment of electronics tools that isn't small, europe, Asia, usa, been checked by quarantine X rays no questions asked. There was once two rolls of solder was mistaken for handcuff in Singapore, was asked to open my bags, that was it. I fly five times a year. Always check in my tools. If i cant bring my tools then my job is gone. Please don't spew nonsense here keep your bullshit to your self, merry Christmas.

Exactly. Theres generally no issue with tools in checked luggage. You'd be a fool to try and bring them with you as carry on.

I travel frequently for work, and bring a Peli case full of tools with me, from knives to screw drivers and spanners etc. I just check it in and have never had any grief from security.

I have however, accidentally, managed to get a Leatherman through security - twice - without it being detected. Was tucked away in the bottom of my backpack. I had wondered where it was...  :-DD

Offline Stonent

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30 on: December 23, 2015, 12:05:44 am »
Nichicon are one of the most trusted capacitor brands, alongside United Chemi-Con and Rubycon, but like those their brand is sometimes faked.
The leads are uneven because that's how they were stuffed, it doesn't tell you anything about decay. Signs of small electrolytics decaying will be the plastic jacket getting stretched so the metal case begins to protrude above the jacket. They could still be out of spec before that happens.

For repairs like this, even genuine nichicon, rubycon, nipponchemicon or panasonic caps are only 10 to 20 cents each if you can get them from a reputable supplier.

You might check local TV repair shops and see if they will sell parts from their stock. 
The larger the government, the smaller the citizen.

Offline nukie

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #31 on: December 24, 2015, 10:54:38 am »

I have however, accidentally, managed to get a Leatherman through security - twice - without it being detected. Was tucked away in the bottom of my backpack. I had wondered where it was...  :-DD

I did this many times, only stopped once before the 9.11 incident. It was accidental at first but after a few times I didnt care anymore. Its funny they want to look at my wifes little rounded end scissors but they completely miss my multitool with 2" blade and you know how much damage can a Leatherman wave saw can do? Carrying multitool onboard has been normal for me those security checks are useless.

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #32 on: December 25, 2015, 07:04:27 am »

I did this many times, only stopped once before the 9.11 incident. It was accidental at first but after a few times I didnt care anymore. Its funny they want to look at my wifes little rounded end scissors but they completely miss my multitool with 2" blade and you know how much damage can a Leatherman wave saw can do? Carrying multitool onboard has been normal for me those security checks are useless.

I carry a knife and a multitool in my wallet all the time. Took 3 years for the bank security to notice it, even though it went through Xray every time. After the first time I just simply moved it to clip on my shoe when going there, as I wear steel capped shoes it does not show as I tripped the metal detector every time with them, so they were used to it. Eventually they wised up that this was just very expensive security theatre, and removed it all. Improved and probably more secure, as here the major danger is not terrorism, not by a long shot. Armed robbery is by far the most common, and the government wants to disarm the legal gun owners while doing little to curb the supply of illegal firearms.

Offline BradC

• Super Contributor
« Reply #33 on: December 25, 2015, 11:20:03 am »
Hell, there are plenty of Aussies here. Why not ask if anyone in the general vicinity would mind giving you a hand to procure and replace 2 caps. Can't be more than 3 beers work.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf