Author Topic: Replace Electric Keetle's Led?  (Read 575 times)

Offline Boris_yo

• Regular Contributor
Replace Electric Keetle's Led?
« on: March 15, 2021, 10:04:34 am »
Hello. I had this appliance for several years. I noticed that led light does not always light up. Sometimes when it does, it emits weak light that blinks.

I don't know how to disassemble on/off lever to change the led light. I also don't know if its a standard led that is available in electronics stores or AEG proprietary led light.

Offline Syntax Error

• Frequent Contributor
  • Please get a Covid jab... Don't be a VACNIK
Re: Replace Electric Keetle's Led?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2021, 10:26:54 am »
Are you sure that's a LED? Most kettles use Neon bulbs.
Over time neon bulbs degrade (due to scintering of the tin electrodes) and flicker as you describe. Important, check the type first as neon bulbs are connected (via a series resistor) directly across the mains!

« Last Edit: March 15, 2021, 10:29:18 am by Syntax Error »

Offline Boris_yo

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2021, 04:28:15 pm »
It's neon most likely as you said. I didn't know the right term. It reminds of those small lights on a cord that you decorate your Christmas fir tree with.

Offline Syntax Error

• Frequent Contributor
  • Please get a Covid jab... Don't be a VACNIK
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2021, 11:17:44 pm »
Without close examination, a replacement part is likely a wire ended neon, possibly a 4mm size, 2mA type. Colors are usually orange and red. Anyone else know better?

Maybe buy a new kettle before you attempt to repair this one? This is LIVE MAINS electricity. Not a toy.

Offline a1321

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2021, 04:29:11 am »
Like others said, most of the time, the red glowing light lamp is a neon bulb. If it is hard to source, you may scavenge it from some mains switch with indicator light.

However, I have seen some glass electric kettle with ring of bright blue light at the bottom. I guess that comes from some LEDs, not neon bulb.

Offline Boris_yo

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2021, 07:48:25 am »
I won't attempt repairs with kettle being plugged into mains of course and as long as it doesn't have some kind of capacitors or something.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf