Author Topic: Changing the Heating element of a ZD-915 clone gun  (Read 1509 times)

Offline TSCOLANTopic starter

• Contributor
Changing the Heating element of a ZD-915 clone gun
« on: June 21, 2022, 12:17:59 pm »
Hi,

My desoldering station (a ZD-915 clone from XTREME) was stuck. I did not managed to unstuck it. Instead of buying a new gun, I ordered a new heating element on ePay.

The title of the object I bought was "DESOLDER HEATING ELEMENT 78-551B ZD-985-915-987-917 220V".

First, it is the right part, you can ignore that the gun is labeled 24V and the part advertised for 220V.

Then, the trap I want to share is that the temperature sensor is polarized. Probably a thermocouple. If plugged reverse, the station will be stuck at 25°C and in heating mode.

Thomas

The following users thanked this post: edavid, ESXi, fzabkar

Offline ESXi

• Regular Contributor
  • Just a hobbyist
Re: Changing the Heating element of a ZD-915 clone gun
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2022, 02:39:56 pm »
I can find two options for the ZD-915 I don't yet have the unit but I already see the old style 915 gun has some issues and still has a plastic tube solder waste chamber.
So I want to buy a ZD-8915 gun (with glass tube) alone for spare so I can replace it but what is really hard to figure out is if they will work on the ZD-915 (even the web shop selling it can't tell me).

You have two different styles of DIN alike connectors which are called Aviator sockets.
The difference are 6 pins and one has 7 pins. I looked at the garbage manuals and was able to find only ONE in a video that showed the pin-out on yt.

Here's the manual of the 7-pin Pro'sKit SS-331 gun 5SS-331N-DG (90 watts variant vs zd-915 80 watts):

7 Pin connector (gun) pin-out:
  • [pin 1 & 2] sensor (PTC/Thermistor) 50Ω±3Ω (25°C room temperature)
  • [pin 3 & 4] heating element 2Ω±1Ω (25°C room temperature)
  • [pin 5 & 6] trigger switch - 0Ω (trigger on)
  • [pin 7 & 2] open or 0Ω (shaking gun) sleep tilt switch?

Just measured my ZD-915 24v 80W gun,

6 Pin connector (gun) pin-out:
  • [pin 1 & 2] sensor (PTC/Thermistor) 1.6Ω(±3Ω?) (24,3°C room temperature)
  • [pin 3 & 4] heating element 1.4Ω(±1Ω?) (24,3°C room temperature)
  • [pin 5 & 6] trigger switch - 0Ω (trigger on, test with continuity mode)

So the only difference seems to be that one model has a tilt sensor for sleep mode so it won't burn your heating element up faster and the other one just burns the heater up no sleep mode? And obviously a bigger heating element with more thermal mass and bigger heater?

Can one confirm this also is it possible to use the bigger heater on the ZD-915 or the gun from the ZD-8915 (SS-331) on the ZD-915, because there seems to be an option to order ZD-8915 gun with 6 pin and 7 pin aviator connector.

It would be cool if one can answer the question, because I don't know there are so many rebrands and make and models none of them describe it properly or have a nice detailed manual..
« Last Edit: June 29, 2022, 03:24:09 pm by ESXi »
my elcheapo lab:
Hantek DSO5102P, KSGER T12 STM32 V2.1S + safety mods, RD6018W DC variable power supply, Quick 861DW, Quick 201B, Telequipment D1011, Optika ST-50LED (ringlight modded)

Offline deezdrama

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2022, 04:53:59 pm »
I can find two options for the ZD-915 I don't yet have the unit but I already see the old style 915 gun has some issues and still has a plastic tube solder waste chamber.
So I want to buy a ZD-8915 gun (with glass tube) alone for spare so I can replace it but what is really hard to figure out is if they will work on the ZD-915 (even the web shop selling it can't tell me).

You have two different styles of DIN alike connectors which are called Aviator sockets.
The difference are 6 pins and one has 7 pins. I looked at the garbage manuals and was able to find only ONE in a video that showed the pin-out on yt.

Here's the manual of the 7-pin Pro'sKit SS-331 gun 5SS-331N-DG (90 watts variant vs zd-915 80 watts):

7 Pin connector (gun) pin-out:
  • [pin 1 & 2] sensor (PTC/Thermistor) 50Ω±3Ω (25°C room temperature)
  • [pin 3 & 4] heating element 2Ω±1Ω (25°C room temperature)
  • [pin 5 & 6] trigger switch - 0Ω (trigger on)
  • [pin 7 & 2] open or 0Ω (shaking gun) sleep tilt switch?

Just measured my ZD-915 24v 80W gun,

6 Pin connector (gun) pin-out:
  • [pin 1 & 2] sensor (PTC/Thermistor) 1.6Ω(±3Ω?) (24,3°C room temperature)
  • [pin 3 & 4] heating element 1.4Ω(±1Ω?) (24,3°C room temperature)
  • [pin 5 & 6] trigger switch - 0Ω (trigger on, test with continuity mode)

So the only difference seems to be that one model has a tilt sensor for sleep mode so it won't burn your heating element up faster and the other one just burns the heater up no sleep mode? And obviously a bigger heating element with more thermal mass and bigger heater?

Can one confirm this also is it possible to use the bigger heater on the ZD-915 or the gun from the ZD-8915 (SS-331) on the ZD-915, because there seems to be an option to order ZD-8915 gun with 6 pin and 7 pin aviator connector.

It would be cool if one can answer the question, because I don't know there are so many rebrands and make and models none of them describe it properly or have a nice detailed manual..

Did you ever try to use the new style heating element?

I cant believe no one has tried using the new proskit gun on the older zd-915.

Ive had my zd-915 for a couple years and it has worked great but wanted to get an extra heating element incase mine goes bad. Im unable to find any spare parts for the zd915 now.

I want to order the new black/green proskit gun and remove the 7 pin connector and install the 6 pin connector but not sure if it is 100% compatible with the power supply base station of the zd915

Offline bastl_r

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2022, 04:17:22 am »
Hi
You can also look for ZD917 or ZD552.
https://www.ebay.de/b/Zd-917/bn_7005775587

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf