Author Topic: Clean XFX Radeon RX580 GPU fan  (Read 1277 times)

Offline sorintTopic starter

Clean XFX Radeon RX580 GPU fan
« on: November 14, 2019, 10:28:02 am »
Hello. I have a lot of XFX Radeon RX580 and some of them have problems fith the spinning of the fans, in the sense that some do not spin anymire becouse of the dust. I have clean other fans but this ones are capsulated and have some gel inside. The only way i see to open them is to force them open, spilling the gel and rendering the fan useless.
Do you know how the gel fans can be opened, or do you know where i could ask on this great www?
« Last Edit: November 14, 2019, 10:32:41 am by sorint »

Offline Muxr

• Super Contributor
Re: Clean XFX Radeon RX580 GPU fan
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2019, 12:43:28 am »
Why not just replace them? I would reach out to XFX and see if they sell them.

Offline sorintTopic starter

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2019, 09:28:22 pm »
It to expensive. And the thing is i think it could be done

Offline deadmanwalking

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2019, 12:14:58 am »
Unfortunatelly I'm not aware of any other way to fix GPUs fans 100% than replacing them.
Some can be fixed temporally using WD40, but many fans are glued together and the WD40 separates the glue and turns some plastics brittle, destroying permanetly the fan.
Maybe using a silicon based lubricant spray can help (the lubricating gel inside is silicon based), but I haven't tried it yet, can't tell if it's a good solution or even a temporally fix. By my experience not worth to fix the fans, beacause all of them die again (now for good) in a couple of months max. If you have many GPUs of the same model, maybe it's time to take working fans from the "better ones" to replace the broken ones in the most used/abused ones, then buy spares from ebay an place them in the "better ones". While you're in it you should replace thermal compound (I have a 20g MX-4 for CPU/GPU thermal paste re-aplying) and check/replace the silicon thermal pads.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2019, 12:22:28 am by deadmanwalking »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf