Author Topic: Cleaning a Creative 5.1 5300 series remote  (Read 491 times)

Offline TDA81Topic starter

Cleaning a Creative 5.1 5300 series remote
« on: August 08, 2020, 11:39:26 am »
Hi, there!

I'm having some trouble with my Creative 5.1 speaker set. The sound keeps failling, and sometimes it even powers down.

From my research on the web, the problem lies with the remote. Theoretically, cleaning the potentiometer solves the problem. I'm thinking on cleaning it with isopropylic alchool, and then lube it. And here is my question:

- What should I use to lube it?

I've seen people using WD-40, not using WD-40, vaseline, silicone oil in spray... What's the "right" way to do it.

Sorry for my english and for the basic question, but I'm just starting in electronics.

NOTE: The photos attached are not from MY remote, but from one of the same model I've found on the web.

Thanks in advance!

Offline TheMG

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Cleaning a Creative 5.1 5300 series remote
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2020, 07:32:51 pm »
My go-to product for cleaning pots, switches, and other contacts is Deoxit D-5. You just spray it and work the pot back and forth a few times. Works wonders, I have not personally found any other product that works as good as this does.

If you can't find the Deoxit, MG Chemicals Electrosolve contact cleaner works reasonably well, though doesn't seem to be as long-lasting as the Deoxit.

For that matter, any electronics contact cleaner you can get will be better than any household product. They are specifically designed to not only clean but also remove any thin layer of oxidation on the contacts. Some also incorporate a small amount of lubricant suitable for electronics.

Alcohol would wash away some of the dirt and grime but do absolutely nothing for any oxidation that may be preventing a good contact. I would avoid WD-40 in any pots, switches, etc. It can actually make things worst as it will coat all the parts in a very thin film of non-conductive oil. Definite no-no.

Offline TDA81Topic starter

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2020, 04:58:40 pm »
Thanks for the reply, TheMG.

It seems we don't have Deoxit here in Portugal. However, I'll try to check the composition and find something similar.

Thanks again!

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2020, 05:15:34 pm »
FaderLube is good stuff to use for cleaning potentiometers, I think it's made by the same company that makes DeOxit though. There are other various "control cleaner" products out there, they used to sell TV tuner cleaner that is essentially the same stuff but TVs with rotary knob tuning are antiques now.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf