Author Topic: Sony TV Thick Vertical Line on Panel  (Read 4783 times)

Offline utkumadenTopic starter

Sony TV Thick Vertical Line on Panel
« on: December 01, 2014, 08:15:15 pm »
I have a 3 year old Sony TV.  I realized today it has a thick darkening line going through the screen as seen in the attachments. I suspect it is the LEDs that burned out. I hope it is just the. LEDs because if it is the panel,  it would be really hard to replace. Cons of 50 i. TV right? I wondered what it wouldbe. Help will be much appreciated. Thank you! 
« Last Edit: December 01, 2014, 08:36:30 pm by utkumaden »

Re: Sony TV Thick Vertical Line on Panel
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2014, 08:25:10 pm »
Here is the other picture that I failed to upload *facepalm*

Online wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2014, 09:01:50 pm »
This is definitely not faulty backlight but most probably LCD itself.

Offline CarbenZone

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2014, 12:14:13 am »
maybe not a good secure connection on a ribbon cable? or maybe just that one decoder is failing, in which case the whole panel needs to be replaced.

Offline Marco

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2014, 12:54:40 am »
The edges look extra-ordinarily crisp, it's hard to believe the leds have such well defined beams. On the other hand how could a problem with the panel cause such weird slanted edges? It obviously doesn't line up with the column or row electrodes.

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2014, 04:45:01 am »
Dying caps on a board will do this as well, or a failing voltage divider. Check on Badcaps.net for this model and the fixes used. Not likely to be the LCD itself, unless left for a long time.

Offline miguelvp

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2014, 04:51:25 am »
On the other hand how could a problem with the panel cause such weird slanted edges? It obviously doesn't line up with the column or row electrodes.

I think the slanting is due to the camera angle to the display, taking the perspective into account it seems they are parallel, but I could be wrong.

It doesn't help that the first image has different angles of the actual video signal intersecting the dark band, giving it an optical illusion making it look even wider.

Edit: but it looks like the pictures where both taken from the top of the TV looking down.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2014, 04:53:52 am by miguelvp »

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2014, 05:53:25 am »
Yeah it is probably the panel.  There are green dead pixels on the grayish zone. You can't see it in these pictures but when it's (tries)  to show an orange background you can easily see green.  There are severe green pixels on the right edge.  Thanks!

Offline Shock

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2014, 04:46:01 pm »
Clean or reconnect connector, failed connector tab bonding, faulty solder joint, faulty driver IC.
Soldering/Rework: Pace ADS200, Pace MBT350
Multimeters: Fluke 189, 87V, 117, 112   >>> WANTED STUFF <<<
Oszilloskopen: Lecroy 9314, Phillips PM3065, Tektronix 2215a, 314

Online wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2014, 05:21:10 pm »
Dying caps on a board will do this as well, or a failing voltage divider. Check on Badcaps.net for this model and the fixes used. Not likely to be the LCD itself, unless left for a long time.
How dying capacitors are supposed to create something like this, I would rather suspect dying IC which drives those columns of pixels. Or bonding failure of that IC/flex cable (between PCB and glass) where it resides.

Offline simplifyiyuk

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2014, 09:48:16 pm »
unfortunately I'd wager a fault with the panel itself. most likely the drive voltage for that particular patch. maybe not tab bonding or drive IC than some passive on the PCB that the tabs bond on to gone a bit awry.

Offline Rasz

• Super Contributor
    • My random blog.
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2014, 11:16:07 pm »

no

like 2 last posts said this is lcd panel itself
one of bonded tabs went bad, sometimes can be temp fixed by bending/flexing/pushing some paper between metal frame and glass

all in all you need new LCD panel for that tv
Who logs in to gdm? Not I, said the duck.
My fireplace is on fire, but in all the wrong places.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf