Author Topic: Repair Nvidia Quadro K5000 gpu  (Read 162 times)

Offline mateksz

• Contributor
Repair Nvidia Quadro K5000 gpu
« on: April 27, 2020, 11:58:49 pm »
Hi Guys,
I have a Nvidia Quadro K5000 GPU. It is working without driver (with default Microsoft driver), I can turn on the computer, but when I install the right driver, the fans starts spinning with 100% load and in the device manager I see a yellow (!). I tried with linux too, same result.
I have very little knowledge of electronics, but I took it apart and I found many shorted resistor under (other side) the GPU chip. I think it can't be good sign.
What do you think? the GPU chip is faulty? Or can be anything else? What should I check?
I really need this GPU for my work and I can't buy a new one right now. If the chip is faulty, I will try to "reflow" it. I know it is just a temporary fix. But... I do not have better idea.
Thanks for your help.

Offline coromonadalix

• Super Contributor
Re: Repair Nvidia Quadro K5000 gpu
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2020, 12:29:59 am »
you say it work: does it gives an image on your screen ?

And it can be normal to have zero value resistors (short) on the circuit, its made like this

wich drivers name did you use and wich windows do you use ??    we can't guess   without having more details,  we are not magicians loll

windows drivers link
https://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/120734/en-us

There is known drivers problems in windows for the quandro cards , some installations fails,  sometimes you extract the drivers package  and tell windows in the device manager where to find the drivers and try to install them manually ...
« Last Edit: April 28, 2020, 12:34:51 am by coromonadalix »

Offline mateksz

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2020, 12:42:38 am »
Yeah. I have image on my screen. I can read, flash new bios, install drivers, etc...

"it can be normal to have zero value resistors (short) on the circuit, its made like this" That's good news.

I tried 3 bios with nvflash, 3-4 quadro driver (under win10) from nvidia.com (2014 - lastest) and tried with ubuntu (I don't remember the driver version).
It has a Bios version sticker on the back: 80.04.59.00.18. If I'm using that one and install any quadro driver the fan start spinning in 100%. If I install another Bios, the fan is normal, but the driver still not works.
Gpu-z only can read gpu version, temperature (40C), but not frequency.

Offline coromonadalix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2020, 12:46:21 am »
this card is like the gtx 690   there was lots of talk of hacked nvidia cards hacks,    more recent drivers are blocking that,  use older drivers

https://hackaday.com/2013/03/18/hack-removes-firmware-crippling-from-nvidia-graphics-card/

https://hackaday.com/tag/quadro-k5000/

I'm not liable to any damage or problems

Offline Manul

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2020, 12:47:47 am »
Did you try it on different motherboard, or it was same computer (windows and ubuntu)? And also, how it happened? Was it working before?

Offline mateksz

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2020, 01:05:41 am »
Yes, I did. The last time I used it was a year ago, it worked well. (with different motherboard, windows install, etc...)

Offline mateksz

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2020, 01:07:35 am »
Interesting. I bought it on ebay three years ago, cooler, stickers looks original, but who knows... I'll try. Thanks

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf