Author Topic: Chassis Rivet Removal.  (Read 296 times)

Offline mag_therm

• Regular Contributor
Chassis Rivet Removal.
« on: December 31, 2020, 03:26:10 pm »
The component rivets inside the old tube chassis I am restoring were of soft brass and drilled out easily.

Now I am trying to replace two RCA jack plates (**)  on the vertical rear plate of the chassis.
These are not accessible on the dimple side , inside of the chassis.

The outer side rivet heads are chrome plated brass, domed, and a lot harder.

There are six to remove. On two attempts the drill has started off centre , now the rivets are spinning.

I though I would ask here of anybody with rivet removal experience, before purchasing a small cut-off saw.

Thanks for any info.

(**) The RCA jack plates do not work with present day RCA plugs with 1/8 inch. 3.2 mm pins.
The jacks have a ceramic bushing with 4mm bore, and the spring contact is also oversized and does not contact.
A banana plug (4mm) dia,  engages properly.

Offline CJay

• Super Contributor
Re: Chassis Rivet Removal.
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2020, 03:41:56 pm »
I've had good success with 'difficult' rivets and a pair of sacrificial wire cutters to cut the back off them but you say that's not accessible.

I think perhaps a dremel and cut off disk to take the head off it might be a good idea but if you can't risk damaging the chassis or sockets then a needle file would also work

Offline bob91343

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2020, 07:56:28 pm »
I've had the same problem many times.  First try with a pair of cutters to grab the head and squeeze it out of shape.  Maybe you can crush it enough to push it through the hole.  Or cut off the head.  Or distort it enough that it won't spin when you drill it.  Or grind off the head.  It would help if you could reach the back side and stop it from spinning.  If you use a sharp drill and very little pressure it might not spin, at least long enough to remove some material.

Offline mag_therm

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2020, 09:23:53 pm »
Thanks, Bob and CJ  for the replies.
I will try again. I see some little diamond wheels on Amazon.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf