Author Topic: Commodore 1901 monitor repair  (Read 676 times)

Offline SanxionTopic starter

• Contributor
Commodore 1901 monitor repair
« on: November 29, 2022, 07:43:03 am »
Morning all,

I am new to the site so I wanted first to say "hello" to you all!

Issue: I am in the process of diagnosing a fault with a 35 year old monitor that I acquired recently...to give some background: I replaced the mains filter capacitor and the monitor did indeed turn on and display a correct image. However, a few days later, I switched it on and there was no activity at all. I have already been advised to replace the capacitors which I have started doing although according to my testing, the original ones seem fine. I have also observed some green "corrosion" on the switching transformer, see attached image. I am assuming it would be a good idea to replace it although I have not actually tested to see if it has failed - I am slightly hesitant to start testing the transformer whilst it is on the board and attached to the mains. I have desoldered it though to see if there is any indicator of what type/make/model it is to source a replacement. It merely has a long part number and the word Japan 1983 embossed on it.

According to the schematics, the transformer outputs 24V and 114V, see attachment. I have not been able to find a replacement.

What would you guys suggest I do next? I must add, I am no expert. I know how to use a soldering iron and multimeter and understand basic fault finding.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2022, 07:45:57 am by Sanxion »

Offline inse

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Commodore 1901 monitor repair
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2022, 08:11:52 am »
As this is a SMPS transformer, it will be close to impossible to find a replacement for it except a salvaged one.
I would advise to clean everything with a stiff brush and alcohol.
Did you check for presence of 160V at the primary electrolytic (which seems to be missing in rhe photo provided) or secondary voltages already?

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2022, 08:57:20 am »
I removed the 100uF 385V capacitor and I am waiting for the new one to arrive.
I will clean the transformer as suggested. I will then check for the voltages.
Thanks.

Offline srb1954

• Super Contributor
  • Retired Electronics Design Engineer
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2022, 09:28:01 am »
Morning all,

I am new to the site so I wanted first to say "hello" to you all!

Issue: I am in the process of diagnosing a fault with a 35 year old monitor that I acquired recently...to give some background: I replaced the mains filter capacitor and the monitor did indeed turn on and display a correct image. However, a few days later, I switched it on and there was no activity at all. I have already been advised to replace the capacitors which I have started doing although according to my testing, the original ones seem fine. I have also observed some green "corrosion" on the switching transformer, see attached image. I am assuming it would be a good idea to replace it although I have not actually tested to see if it has failed - I am slightly hesitant to start testing the transformer whilst it is on the board and attached to the mains. I have desoldered it though to see if there is any indicator of what type/make/model it is to source a replacement. It merely has a long part number and the word Japan 1983 embossed on it.

According to the schematics, the transformer outputs 24V and 114V, see attachment. I have not been able to find a replacement.

What would you guys suggest I do next? I must add, I am no expert. I know how to use a soldering iron and multimeter and understand basic fault finding.
That brown snot used to glue down components is known to break down over time and become conductive. You should endeavour to remove all trace of it from the PCB including under any capacitors and other large components.

Resistor RP16 appears to be severely burnt. I suggest you trace out other components connected to it and check for shorts before replacing it.

The following users thanked this post: fzabkar, xmris, Sanxion

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2022, 04:05:56 pm »
OK...I have replaced the glue, replaced the power resistor and several capacitors - including the "big ones" : CP04, 14 & 15 - and CP10. I am pleased to say that the monitor is now working except that it is displaying in green monochrome only. I am certain however that when the monitor first switches on, the blue colors of the C64 desktop can be seen momentarily before it is replaced by green.
Any ideas?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf