Author Topic: Compaq Portable Keyboard uses... 12-volts?  (Read 585 times)

Offline katasticTopic starter

Compaq Portable Keyboard uses... 12-volts?
« on: June 21, 2021, 04:11:19 pm »
I've got a Compaq Portable. (I) the big suitcase one, also featured on EEVblog, IIRC. I'm looking into adapting this keyboard for normal PC use and I ran into something strange.

The keyboard uses (AFAIK) the standard AT keyboard protocol of the original IBM PC. With one caveat. Instead of sending 5-volts over the cable it sends... 12-volts over. At first I thought it was doing some sort of RS-232 or something instead of TTL, but no, after buzzing everything out it simply sends 12-volts from the motherboard/PSU, and then slaps on a 7805 immediately after which regulates to 4.88 volts. As long the incoming voltage is >6.8 volts, it regulates at 4.88v steady, all the way up to 15 volts my bench PSU tops out at.

Anyway, the question I have is... does anyone have any idea why someone would 1) go around spec and re-invent the wheel with their own powersupply? The onboard compaq PSU has plenty of 5-volt capacity, and the keyboard consumes maybe 20 milliamps.

Noise issues? Keyboard re-use with other models? (I don't think there's any. This is Compaqs first computer, IIRC.) I mean, if the power rail was too suspect to noise, then certainly the communication lines would also.

I can easily work around it. It's just odd and I can't come up with a plausible design reason for it.

Thanks,
--Chris

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
Re: Compaq Portable Keyboard uses... 12-volts?
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2021, 06:30:39 pm »
I have an old dumb terminal that has a similar approach, I assume they did it to ensure that there is a stable 5V at the end of the thin conductors in the keyboard cable back when the internal logic in the keyboard would draw a significant amount of power.

I'm curious why you'd want to adapt the portable keyboard to work on something else though. An original Compaq Portable is a valuable collectible, the keyboard is pretty terrible as I recall from the one I had back in the 90s.

Offline Rasz

• Super Contributor
    • My random blog.
Re: Compaq Portable Keyboard uses... 12-volts?
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2021, 12:01:22 am »
Everything was overbuild back then. 12V means healthy safety margin.
Who logs in to gdm? Not I, said the duck.
My fireplace is on fire, but in all the wrong places.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf