Author Topic: Cracked rifa replacements HP 3478a  (Read 2016 times)

Offline ALearningLadTopic starter

• Contributor
Cracked rifa replacements HP 3478a
« on: January 19, 2022, 02:35:19 am »
What should I replace them with? Let me know if I forgot to add any information. Thanks in advance!

Offline Tj138waterboy

• Regular Contributor
Re: Cracked rifa replacements HP 3478a
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2022, 03:18:37 am »
Whole list of replacement caps and battery. List may need updated if out of stock or backorder.
Highly advise you to watch https://youtu.be/e-itiJSftzs
https://www.digikey.com/short/zndr39
« Last Edit: January 19, 2022, 03:22:43 am by Tj138waterboy »

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2022, 04:53:14 am »
I actually just found that, do plan on recapping the whole damn thing. Should I take those dreaded carbon film resistors out while I'm at it?

Offline TERRA Operative

• Super Contributor
  • Voider of warranties
    • Near Far Media Youtube
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2022, 08:15:18 am »
Any appropriately rated (X/Y class) capacitor of the same capacitance and physical size can be used to replace the Rifa caps.
I tend to replace all the electrolytics as I showed in the linked video, there is only a few to replace and it can only help with stability and longevity. Just be sure to use good quality caps from known sources.

As for the carbon composite resistors, I was just about to have a look at that myself. The ones int he power supply sections could be replaced with equal rated metal films with no trouble, but if they are in the signal path somewhere, or have an effect on the reading of the signal, a recalibration/adjustment may be required after replacement.
Having said that, if they have drifted then an adjustment may be needed anyway, and replacing them with metal film would be a good idea (and maybe pull the meter back to being closer in spec, depending when the last adjustment was performed).

So the tl;dr of it all is: sure replace the carbon composites if you'll recalibrate/adjust the meter, or double check what the resistors are actually doing if no adjustment will be performed to check if they'll have an effect on your readings.
Where does all this test equipment keep coming from?!?

https://www.youtube.com/NearFarMedia/

Offline Kleinstein

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2022, 08:55:55 am »
If there are carbon capacitors in the input section, they may be choosen for high surge voltage. For same size metal film capacitors often have lower maximum voltage ratings. This would especially be the series of resistors in series to the inputs. These are important for the voltage rating and the actual value has very little effect on the calibration. So even if the values would drift by 20% one would likely no see this in the calibration (maybe a little in the offset, but even that effect is small).

Some of the resistors (both at the input and in the power supply) may be fusible ones and these should not be replaced with normal ones - so check the service manual before replacing.

I don't see a need to replace resistors.

The cracked Rifa caps at the input should be relaced with same X/Y class rating new one. The new ones may be physical a bit smaller.

The following users thanked this post: srb1954

Offline m3vuv

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2022, 11:06:12 am »
If there are carbon capacitors in the input section, they may be choosen for high surge voltage. For same size metal film capacitors often have lower maximum voltage ratings. This would especially be the series of resistors in series to the inputs. These are important for the voltage rating and the actual value has very little effect on the calibration. So even if the values would drift by 20% one would likely no see this in the calibration (maybe a little in the offset, but even that effect is small).

Some of the resistors (both at the input and in the power supply) may be fusible ones and these should not be replaced with normal ones - so check the service manual before replacing.

I don't see a need to replace resistors.
Please tell me what are carbon capacitors,do you mean resistors by any chance?

The cracked Rifa caps at the input should be relaced with same X/Y class rating new one. The new ones may be physical a bit smaller.

Offline m3vuv

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2022, 11:06:53 am »
What are carbon capacitors?

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2022, 02:24:01 pm »
Indeed what are carbon caps

Offline inse

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2022, 02:49:43 pm »
The analog to electrolytic resistors!

Offline Kleinstein

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2022, 02:57:40 pm »
Sorry for the confusion - it is carbon resistors, not capacitors.

At least the moder 34401 versions seem to not use any carbon resistors. So no need to look for the resistors.

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2022, 03:09:14 pm »
Wish I was that lucky haha, got me a old 2301 edition none of that newer 26-- rubbish lmao. The good old 1:1 isolation transformers.

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2022, 05:46:54 pm »
So I actually have some X2 classes caps, can I chuck these in instead? .22 mic 275/250vac (live in us anyways so it's sure as heck not going close to that), and a .33 mic 250/275vac. Those ok to replace those rifas with? Same size/form factor.

Offline George Edmonds

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2022, 08:58:45 pm »
Hi

Class X and class Y capacitors are different.  Class X capacitors can be used between phase and neutral where an internal failure would NOT produce a hazard.  Class Y capacitors are designed to be used between phase and neutral to earth where an internal failure could cause a safety hazard.

Please use the correct ones

G Edmonds

• Contributor
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2022, 05:12:39 am »
Fascinating, will need to do a few hours of research on that. Thank you!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf