Author Topic: Cursed CPU  (Read 5081 times)

Offline rdaggerTopic starter

• Contributor
    • Rototron
Cursed CPU
« on: June 30, 2018, 12:43:58 am »
Several years ago I built a PC with an i7 CPU.  After a couple months the power supply died.  I disabled the overclocking and replaced the PS.  A couple of months later the new PS died.  This was suspicious so I swapped out the graphics card for a lower power version and upgraded to a 1000W PS.  This power supply also had a short lifespan. 

I took the computer to my office and forgot about it for a few years.  Recently I pulled it from storage and swapped out the motherboard for a different brand and put in a 4th PS.  After 1 day the PS died (apparently a blown cap).  I’m running it at a different location and the only parts in common with original computer are the CPU, memory and the case.

I’m going to try replacing the caps in the picture.  Could a CPU cause this type of failure?

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
Re: Cursed CPU
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2018, 01:05:01 am »
It seems most likely that the quality of the PSUs used isn't what it should be. What are you using?

• Contributor
    • Rototron
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2018, 01:29:36 am »
It seems most likely that the quality of the PSUs used isn't what it should be. What are you using?
OCZ 550W, Rosewill 650W, Corsair 750W, Kingwin 1000W.

Offline TiN

• Super Contributor
    • xDevs.com
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2018, 06:32:27 am »
Except maybe corsair , all those PSU sound junk to me.

CPU cannot make PSU fail like that, but bad VRM on board of MB can. Over clocking also may cause excess stress to PSU.
YouTube | Metrology IRC Chat room | Let's share T&M documentation? Upload! No upload limits for firmwares, photos, files.

Online Towger

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2018, 06:53:34 am »
Same Kettle lead?

Offline Rerouter

• Super Contributor
  • Question Everything... Except This Statement
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2018, 09:40:53 am »
That Silver / blue cap, I've been seeing them over and over for the past month, they love failing with reduced capacity with high ESR, then detonate.

• Contributor
    • Rototron
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2018, 02:34:20 pm »
Same Kettle lead?
Different power cords at home and office.

• Contributor
    • Rototron
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2018, 02:36:20 pm »
Except maybe corsair , all those PSU sound junk to me.

CPU cannot make PSU fail like that, but bad VRM on board of MB can. Over clocking also may cause excess stress to PSU.
I thought it was the MB too, that's why I replaced the original EVGA MB with a Dell MB.  I guess that one could be bad too.

Offline shakalnokturn

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2018, 06:08:25 pm »
I'd definitely bet on crappy PSU's, all the same make sure airflow is sufficient (is case fan working against PSU fan?)
With a DC clamp meter and decent DMM you could check current is in the PSU's rating on each rail and ripple is not something ridiculous when reaching the mainboard connector.

Offline bob225

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2018, 07:10:20 pm »
sounds like its either something under the motherboard (a post, or metal swarf)

or

(the most likely) Its a drive starting to fail, HDD's can suffer from heat issues and motor issues what can make the HDD pull excessive current on the 12 and 5v rails

is it a Seagate or a WD Green ?

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2018, 08:41:00 pm »
It should be almost impossible for an external fault to kill a well designed power supply. I'd say buy a good quality PSU from a reputable source and give that a go.

Online wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2018, 08:44:21 pm »

or

(the most likely) Its a drive starting to fail, HDD's can suffer from heat issues and motor issues what can make the HDD pull excessive current on the 12 and 5v rails

HDD cannot consume high current and keep working. Not to say, none of external faults will kill half decent ATX PSU.

Offline Bashstreet

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2018, 09:36:47 pm »
This really should not happen. Psu's especially cheap ones can break and some corsair models also are noways barely adequate using cheap caps.
Still 4 psu's... hmm

As you have changed the motherboard and i would say cpu is very unlikely to break psu's (not impossible i suppose but..)
Check if you know how safely your wall voltages (use safe meter and do not do it if you unsure what you doing)

It could be that some other component is causing the trouble maybe a hard drive cd player etc (very unlikely...)

Could you send pictures of your system and we can have lil look and try figure what might be going on also take good pictures of the psu maybe we can figure what rail failed.

• Contributor
    • Rototron
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2018, 11:13:16 pm »
I'd definitely bet on crappy PSU's, all the same make sure airflow is sufficient (is case fan working against PSU fan?)
With a DC clamp meter and decent DMM you could check current is in the PSU's rating on each rail and ripple is not something ridiculous when reaching the mainboard connector.
The last power supply failed with the case side open so I don't think their was an air flow issue.  I have a computer power supply tester that I can use to test the rails on Monday.

or
It could be the Dell MB mounting because it's a non-standard size and I did bodge it in.  I'm running a single SSD hard drive.

Check if you know how safely your wall voltages (use safe meter and do not do it if you unsure what you doing)
It could be that some other component is causing the trouble maybe a hard drive cd player etc (very unlikely...)
Could you send pictures of your system and we can have lil look and try figure what might be going on also take good pictures of the psu maybe we can figure what rail failed.
The electrical at my home isn't great but it was connected to an APC battery.  The electrical at my office is top notch.   I'll post some pics.

Offline Bashstreet

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2018, 12:23:32 am »
If you run only 1 ssd drive i cannot imagine this causing problems.

I am starting to think that it might actually be the processor this would be very unlikely and i do not think i personally ever witnessed processor causing psu failures.
Defiantly check the case mounting that there is no shorts.

Sorry for your troubles if we can try track what rail has caused the psu to go bad we could potentially narrow the issue further.

Online wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2018, 12:28:04 am »
If that was CPU, motherboard would fail first

Online coppice

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2018, 06:34:44 am »
Is this one of those Dell motherboards with the standard ATX power socket, but a non-standard use of its pins?

Offline bob225

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2018, 04:06:42 pm »

or

HDD cannot consume high current and keep working. Not to say, none of external faults will kill half decent ATX PSU.

cant it ? well I have replaced melted molex and sata connectors over the years with work drives

Online wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2018, 04:17:39 pm »

or

cant it ? well I have replaced melted molex and sata connectors over the years with work drives
It may happen because of bad contact, not because of higher than normal power consumption. Do you really think that HDD could consume something in order of 100W+ to have any effect on PSU and not burn in flames?

Offline bob225

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2018, 04:23:00 pm »
Did you use the same mounting screws for each psu ? depending what dell board it is it may have a custom psu and the atx plug is but pinned out differently

usually it wont boot or the board will let out the blue smoke

Offline andy2000

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2018, 02:44:54 pm »
I vote for poor quality, or defective power supplies.  Even if there was something seriously wrong with the CPU or motherboard, any half decent power supply would simply shut down without damage. 

Offline mikerj

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2018, 04:59:09 pm »
I vote for poor quality, or defective power supplies.  Even if there was something seriously wrong with the CPU or motherboard, any half decent power supply would simply shut down without damage.

Four power supplies across four separate brands seems (literally) unbelievably unlucky.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2018, 06:14:47 pm »
Unless they're all garbage, could be counterfeit ebay junk that is guaranteed to fail, we don't really know.

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2018, 07:19:28 pm »
Despite you have replaced the motherboard, as others have said I can imagine a bad VRM taking the system down.

In a very distant past my main computer was a Dual Pentium II 300MHz and I had an issue that almost took my power supply with it: one of the MOSFETs of the Vcore voltage regulator failed short and was putting almost 3V into the CPU0, which in consequence started consuming an immense amount of power. The computer was still operating normally and I only noticed the Ampère smell coming from inside the computer.

At the time I was using a ~400W (untested) power supply and a Supermicro motherboard. They repaired the board for free - a feat given it was completely out of warranty and I had to ship it from Brazil to US.

Fast forward many years, I had a crap power supply and its mildly "out of mechanical tolerance" contacts inside the main connector almost ruined the motherboard receptacle - as wraper said, the minor sparks caused by the poor contacts started to melt the plastic due to the increased temperature. In this case, the symptoms were easier to notice: the computer randomly failed. Replacing the power supply with a high quality Corsair with detachable cables solved the problem. The POS is still in my junk storage, but it has a big red X on it.
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Offline Bashstreet

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2018, 07:44:10 pm »

Four power supplies across four separate brands seems (literally) unbelievably unlucky.

Yes i would think it very unlikely.

It would be quite informative to see what actually broke in the PSU's so lets hope the OP can give us some further pictures so we can have proper look.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf