Author Topic: D620 dc jack testing  (Read 1891 times)

Offline mar6Topic starter

D620 dc jack testing
« on: July 20, 2016, 09:50:07 am »
Hello and sorry for bad english language.

I would like to test my non-working Dell latitude D620 DC jack, but i dont know how to do it. :-[
I tested power adapter with multimeter and it is ok. I have not much experience in laptop testing.

I made picture of dc jack.
http://i63.tinypic.com/mh681e.jpg

I hope that someone can show me where i must put test leads on that jack.

Thank You!

Offline WaveFunction

Re: D620 dc jack testing
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2016, 01:21:31 pm »
So the notebook does not turn on at all?

The attached picture shows the pinout for that DC jack.

I edited your picture to show where to put your multimeter probes. You should put your probes on the motherboard so you know the voltage is getting from the DC jack to the motherboard.

The following users thanked this post: mar6

Offline mar6Topic starter

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2016, 11:49:35 am »
Thank You for very useful info.

I got it tested, but no voltage. This means that it could be broken jack or any other component ?
Yes, notebook does no turn on at all.

Offline WaveFunction

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2016, 01:29:51 pm »
Some possibilities:

1) Short circuit on motherboard -- If there is a short circuit, then the AC adapter will turn off when you plug it into the jack. Does the AC adapter have a light? If so, make sure it stays on when you plug it into the jack. You can also test the voltage of the adapter before plugging it in. Then test it again after unplugging it from the jack. Make sure it is still 19V (i.e. it didn't shut off to protect itself).

2) Bad AC adapter -- Even if you read 19V, the adapter can still fail under load. It would be helpful to try a different adapter or try this adapter on another Dell notebook. Just to be sure.

3) Bad solder joints -- You can remove the motherboard and inspect the solder joints. Wiggle the jack and watch if the joints move. Look carefully. Sometimes the whole solder joint (and pad) lifts off the board a tiny tiny distance. It's very hard to see. The pins may need to be resoldered. If you have soldering skills, you can resolder the jack just in case. If any pads are damaged, then that makes resoldering more difficult (the missing pads must be replaced with wires).

4) Bad jack -- There might be something wrong inside the DC jack. If so, it will have to be replaced.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf