Author Topic: Data Precision 2480 DMM Repair  (Read 11614 times)

Offline FlyingHackerTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
  • You're Doing it Wrong
Data Precision 2480 DMM Repair
« on: September 17, 2015, 10:26:55 pm »
Hi,

I have a Data Precision 2480 DMM I am trying to fix. The schematic is here: http://meanmutha.com/DataPrecision2480Schem.pdf

Note that any component labeled "FSV" in the schematic is not present on the board. I don't know what "FSV" means. Also, this unit has the RMS option for AC, if that matters.

Everything works fine EXCEPT the DCV 100V setting. Ohms works fine.

If I try to measure 5v DC it reads correctly when I have the range set to 1v or 10v or 1000v. However, when I set the range to 100v it reads ~6.89v (it varies sometimes). If I feed it 1.26v it reads 0v in the 100v range. The error offset is not linear that I can tell.

I checked the input voltages per the limited service info in the manual, and they read fine. (Manual is paper, and I do not have the whole thing scanned.) I checked the reference voltages, and they were fine too.

The logic seems to be working fine, as the readout is displaying the voltage as seem at E37  on the schematic (right after the attenuator at H12). The manual also provided some logic waveforms, and they checked out OK on the scope.

The input to the meter is on the left hand side of the schematic. Everything DCV related is nicely labeled DCV.

A4 is a precision resistor pack used in the attenuator. When in 100v range pin 4 reads the voltage displayed by the meter (the wrong voltage). When it any other range it reads the correct voltage. As the A4 resistors are also used in the Ohms measurement I do not believe they are at fault. Also, other ranges work fine, and some would use the same resistors.

I tried removing C2, C3, C4, C5, C8, C9, C10 (used for AC tuning for ACV). This had no effect on the problem.

The decimal places work correctly (lower right side of the schematic, controlled by the same switch.) The 100v range switch is S10 (you can see these ranges listed right next to the attenuator on the schematic).

I am beginning to suspect it is possibly an issue in the switch S10. I put tons of contact cleaner in there, and in all the other switches, but that did not help. These are those ganged push button switches, where pushing one in makes the others pop out. They are a massive pain to remove, and that would be my last resort after seeking help here.

Any help would be appreciated. Any suggestions for where to look would be helpful.

The since the difference between the correct voltage and the displayed voltage is not consistent this makes me think a transistor or opamp is involved. Would some kind of crud in a switch cause the offset to vary like I described above?

Thanks in advance.

Offline retiredcaps

• Super Contributor
Re: Data Precision 2480 DMM Repair
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2015, 11:24:08 pm »
Everything works fine EXCEPT the DCV 100V setting. Ohms works fine.
Just to confirm,  ohms works in the same 100 gang switch setting?

• Frequent Contributor
  • You're Doing it Wrong
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2015, 11:36:55 pm »
Yes. Ohms works at every range.

Offline teksturi

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2015, 11:56:26 pm »
How about ACV?

And just to be sure you can still measure A4. Pull all switches off (push little pit then switch should pop back) when doing this.

• Frequent Contributor
  • You're Doing it Wrong
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2015, 02:18:07 am »
Some more info...

I was wrong in my initial statement. ACV is also incorrect at the 100v range. 6.899v reads as 11.8. All the ohms ranges work correctly, though.

Adjusting R12 (G9 on the schematic) as part of the calibration procedure for ACV seems to have no effect.

If I measure A4 with the 100v range button in then it is higher, like the voltage. If I lightly push the button so that all range buttons pop out then the voltage on the A4 pins goes back to where it should be.

Offline Vgkid

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2015, 02:36:41 am »
Measure the input impedance of the meter with another multimeter. That will tell you if the input divider is fried.
If you own any North Hills Electronics gear, message me. L&N Fan

• Frequent Contributor
  • You're Doing it Wrong
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2015, 02:57:09 am »
Measure the input impedance of the meter with another multimeter. That will tell you if the input divider is fried.

Just to be sure I do this right.... You are saying hook another meter up to the inputs of this meter and measure impedance (ohms), right? What kind of values should I be seeing in that case?

Thanks.

Offline Vgkid

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2015, 04:41:22 am »
^^^ Correct.
Should be 10Meg ohm.
Currently reading through the manual.

Offline Vgkid

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2015, 05:46:35 am »
This is what I dug up, wish the schematics were online.
There is no gain needed for the voltage ranges, which is one kess thing to worry about.
All rain switching is done with the input resistor string. I guess it is manual ranged.

• Frequent Contributor
  • You're Doing it Wrong
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2015, 06:34:21 am »
I posted the schematic in the original post.

http://meanmutha.com/DataPrecision2480Schem.pdf
« Last Edit: September 18, 2015, 07:03:34 am by FlyingHacker »

• Frequent Contributor
  • You're Doing it Wrong
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2015, 06:42:21 am »
^^^ Correct.
Should be 10Meg ohm.
Currently reading through the manual.

Measurements with power on the DUT off:

Range:  reading

100mV: 160kOhm

1V: 160kOhm

10V: 5.7 MegaOhm

100V: 5.6 MegaOhm

1000V: 8.6 MegaOhm

With power to the DUT on:

100mV: 4.7 MegaOhm

1V: 4.6 MegaOhm

10V: 5.4 MegaOhm

100V: 5.4 MegaOhm

1000V: 6 MegaOhm

Offline teksturi

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2015, 09:06:01 am »
Some more info...

I was wrong in my initial statement. ACV is also incorrect at the 100v range. 6.899v reads as 11.8. All the ohms ranges work correctly, though.

Adjusting R12 (G9 on the schematic) as part of the calibration procedure for ACV seems to have no effect.

If I measure A4 with the 100v range button in then it is higher, like the voltage. If I lightly push the button so that all range buttons pop out then the voltage on the A4 pins goes back to where it should be.

Measure A4 resistance between each pin pair. 6-5 5-4 4-3 etc. Of course do this power off. And all range button out.

Offline tec5c

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2015, 11:47:30 am »
In what way do the ranges (1v, 10v,...) effect the resistance measurements?

• Frequent Contributor
  • You're Doing it Wrong
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2015, 03:08:55 pm »
In what way do the ranges (1v, 10v,...) effect the resistance measurements?

Measuring resistance using the meter itself works fine at all ranges. The correct value is shown even at the 100V (100kOhm) range.

This is why I was not suspecting the A4 resistor set.

Thanks.

• Frequent Contributor
  • You're Doing it Wrong
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2015, 04:02:30 pm »
It does look like the ohms measurements go through the A4 resistor pack as well, right? Since ohms works fine at every range we can rule out problems with A4, no?

Offline Kleinstein

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2015, 05:28:04 pm »
If the 1000 V range is really OK (less than 2% off) and the ohms ranges are working Ok, the divider itself should be OK. The problem should be in on of the switches, especially S10.

It's also strange to get a 5 M resistance reading - this should be closer to 10 M.

Offline Vgkid

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2015, 07:01:26 pm »
I believe kleinstein is correct, I think one(or more) of the switches has gone high resistance(but not open) as after the switches the signal goes through a few 51K resistors and through Q7Fet.

• Frequent Contributor
  • You're Doing it Wrong
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2015, 11:00:48 pm »
I was worried it might be the switch... So I guess I desolder the one in question and try to clean it up.

Offline teksturi

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2015, 01:54:28 pm »
Why don't you just measure switch first  :-//

• Frequent Contributor
  • You're Doing it Wrong
« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2015, 04:15:23 pm »
Why don't you just measure switch first  :-//

You think I can measure it in circuit? You are saying measure the resistance across the different poles of the switch, right? And compare it to one of the other switches... That might work.

Offline Kleinstein

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2015, 05:17:51 pm »
You can at least measure the switch of interest here. There are high value resistors connected, so they won't make a difference when it comes to measure <1 Ohms a closed contact should have. No need to compare with other switches.

Offline TimFox

• Super Contributor
  • Retired, now restoring antique test equipment
« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2015, 09:05:54 pm »
Note that any component labeled "FSV" in the schematic is not present on the board. I don't know what "FSV" means. Also, this unit has the RMS option for AC, if that matters.

I believe that "FSV" means "factory selected value" for components added before shipment as part of calibration.

• Frequent Contributor
  • You're Doing it Wrong
« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2015, 11:04:33 pm »
You can at least measure the switch of interest here. There are high value resistors connected, so they won't make a difference when it comes to measure <1 Ohms a closed contact should have. No need to compare with other switches.

Oddly the switches seem to measure fine. Either open or about 0.2ohms in the off or on positions.

The only things that read as an in between value were between S10 pins A2 and A3 with all switches out, which read just over 1k, and S11 pins A2 to A3, which read just over 1k as well. Those pins are used in current measurement only I think.

I fed a voltage into the input with the meter under test turned off and the resulting voltage was still incorrect when I switched in the 100V range. This makes me think it is indeed something passive... But where?!?

Offline singapol

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2015, 04:06:56 am »
Try this, if you have a esr meter measure C38,39 if not swap C36,37 15uf 10V. I'll bet they have developed high esr. The caps are connected to 100V selector switch.

• Frequent Contributor
  • You're Doing it Wrong
« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2015, 04:29:31 am »
Try this, if you have a esr meter measure C38,39 if not swap C36,37 15uf 10V. I'll bet they have developed high esr. The caps are connected to 100V selector switch.

I will check them out. Though I believe those switches are basically four dual throw (changeover)  switches in one. I guess quad pole changeover... And the pins B1, B2, and B3 are all one of the four subswitches used for switching on the decimal place character on the display. When the switch is out B1 is connected to B2. When in B3 is connected to B2.

So I think those caps are isolated from the measurement circuit. But will check them out anyway. This thing is driving me nuts. Thanks.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf