Author Topic: Datasheet for NEC CP2001D VFD driver IC  (Read 235 times)

Offline pcprogrammerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Datasheet for NEC CP2001D VFD driver IC
« on: March 25, 2024, 01:27:12 pm »
I'm looking for the datasheet of a NEC IC with a data code of 1984. It has 38 pins and has narrow pin spacing compared to a standard dip IC. The width of the IC is the same as a standard 28 pin EPROM or 40 pin CPU.

The manufacturer is NEC and the IC code is CP2001D.

I found some suppliers with google, but could not find a datasheet in any of the usual places.

The same applies for the display itself. Also NEC with the marking FIP40A5X. I did find it mentioned in several NEC product catalogs of 1988 - 1990, but no details on the pinout, voltages, etc.

It is a would be nice to have thing to make reverse engineering easier, or bodge up some repair of the unit. The display is very old and I can't recall where I bought it and if I worked on it myself. Has been in a box for >30 years. The cut pins on the one CP2001D don't give the same measurement with a DMM as the same pins on the other CP2001D's on the board.

I do have another one that works as intended. You can see it here. The defective one misses some pixels in each character.

Offline DavidAlfa

• Super Contributor
Re: Datasheet for NEC CP2001D VFD driver IC
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2024, 01:55:43 pm »
Not the datasheet but a very useful schematic.
Apparently each ic is made of four shift registers which can be daisy-chained.
I guess it takes all the clocks and latches the data when OE is released.

Source: https://ru-radio-electr.livejournal.com/1467417.html
« Last Edit: March 25, 2024, 01:58:27 pm by DavidAlfa »
Hantek DSO2x1x            Drive        FAQ          DON'T BUY HANTEK! (Aka HALF-MADE)
Stm32 Soldering FW      Forum      Github      Donate

The following users thanked this post: pcprogrammer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2024, 02:52:37 pm »
The VFD panel in that article looks to be the same as mine. Guess it was ripped from the second PCB in that article, the one with the CP2001's on it. My board is different but also has four of these CP2001's on it.

I dove into my archive and found the manual of the display module with the max voltage and current specifications and how to control it from another device.  :-DD

With it a drawing I made of the boost converter that is on the module. Must have cut the pins myself back then.  >:D

Also found the schematic for another VFD I have and was looking into connecting it up again. Saves a bit of work on that one.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2024, 09:46:58 am »
Dug a bit deeper into my archive and found a bit more stuff on this module and the CP2001.

The reference manual I found is for the FM40X1AA-A, where as my module is FM40X1AA-B. The interface with a host is the same though. The A module uses different drivers for the display.

From what I have I can see that I played with it in 1994.  :)

Attached are zips containing the scans of what I have on this. There is a bit of my old handy work in there like shown with the attached images.  :-DD

Edit: I'm having some weird behavior trying to post with the .zip files attached. It does not save it and goes into a "start new topic" mode.  :-//
Turns out the files are to big, and at the last try it told me so.  :palm:
« Last Edit: March 26, 2024, 09:52:44 am by pcprogrammer »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2024, 09:53:35 am »
So here are the other files.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf