Author Topic: Datron 1065A service manual  (Read 1344 times)

Offline torquilTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Datron 1065A service manual
« on: August 05, 2021, 05:30:52 pm »
I bought a Datron 1065A and it seemed to work the first few minutes. However, then I heard a sort of ticking noise, similar to the noise you hear when a heater is turned off and it is cooling down fast. After that the meter was always showing "over limit" no matter what I did on any range, and errors 5, 6 and 7 on the self test. I was lucky to get the service and calibration manual for 1065/1065A with the meter.

It turns out the tantalum capacitor C14 near the integration circuit was toast, along with a nearby resistor that is connected between the capacitor and ground. It was easy to find the error after checking the test points oscilloscope waveforms shown near the integration circuit. I changed it to a multilayer ceramic of the same value, and now it works again.

But my real question is: I did not find the 1065A service manual online. Should I scan mine and upload it, or is it already available somewhere, despite my failed attempt to find it online?

Best regards,
Torquil
« Last Edit: August 05, 2021, 06:17:43 pm by torquil »

Offline Gyro

• Super Contributor
Re: Datron 1065A service manual
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2021, 06:50:16 pm »
You can find it on KO4BB... http://www.ko4bb.com/getsimple/index.php?id=manuals&dir=06_Misc_Test_Equipment/Datron

EDIT: Ah, sorry, I'd forgotten that was the datasheet only. It would certainly be worth scanning and uploading - KO4BB and BAMA being the best places.

EDIT1: The 1061 is very closely related, and is available for download - you might be able to save effort by just scanning the specific differences.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2021, 06:59:47 pm by Gyro »
Best Regards, Chris

Offline TheDefpom

• Frequent Contributor
  • YouTuber Nerd - I Fix Stuff
    • The Defpom's Channel
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2021, 10:56:32 pm »
I have done a few videos fixing the 1062, it may be of help.

My suggestions are to replace all electrolytics, the power supply ones are probably still ok but do them anyway. The ones on the analogue board WILL be bad, they always are.

Replace the two round bridge rectifiers, they seem a common failure too, I put in W02 instead of the original W01.

There are tantalum caps on the power supply board, upgrade them all, replace the 25v with 35v snd the 6.3v with 10v, this is needed due to the original under rating for the supply rails they are on, always try to at least double the V rating vs supply V for tants.
Cheers Scott

Check out my Electronics Repair, Mailbag, or Review Videos at https://www.youtube.com/TheDefpom

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2021, 11:34:42 pm »
I have done a few videos fixing the 1062, it may be of help.

My suggestions are to replace all electrolytics, the power supply ones are probably still ok but do them anyway. The ones on the analogue board WILL be bad, they always are.

Replace the two round bridge rectifiers, they seem a common failure too, I put in W02 instead of the original W01.

There are tantalum caps on the power supply board, upgrade them all, replace the 25v with 35v snd the 6.3v with 10v, this is needed due to the original under rating for the supply rails they are on, always try to at least double the V rating vs supply V for tants.

Thanks, I will follow those suggestions. I have watched many of your videos, and also the Datron ones, they are very helpful (and entertaining).

Now I have to find out the correct battery size designation, because apparently I had assumed that it was the same type of battery as in my HP 3478A, which it unfortunately is not. It has a smaller diameter.

I think I will scan the service manual some time and upload it.

Offline TheDefpom

• Frequent Contributor
  • YouTuber Nerd - I Fix Stuff
    • The Defpom's Channel
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2021, 11:48:05 pm »
The battery is a 1/2 AA 3.7V
Cheers Scott

Check out my Electronics Repair, Mailbag, or Review Videos at https://www.youtube.com/TheDefpom

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2021, 04:53:42 pm »
The battery is a 1/2 AA 3.7V

Thanks! And I just found that the C10 or C11 tantalum cap in the power supply was completely burned up.... They were 22 uF 25 V. Didn't have any 22 uF 35 V tantalums, so I took the chance on changing them both to some new Nichison aluminium electrolytics at 25 uF 25 V. While I was at it I changed the input IEC filtered power input to a brand new one, just to be sure.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2021, 11:45:27 pm »
The ones on the analogue board WILL be bad, they always are.

I replaced them, and they were bad. Especially the 10 uF ones. ESR was around 150 Ohm.

The following users thanked this post: TheDefpom

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf