Author Topic: Datron 4000A -- can someone check something for me?  (Read 469 times)

Offline essele

• Regular Contributor
Datron 4000A -- can someone check something for me?
« on: August 03, 2019, 03:10:28 pm »
Hi,

Sadly I'm having some more problems with my Datron 4000A ... this time I'm seeing a complete lack of load regulation on the low voltage ranges (10V and lower), and before I rip open my newly calibrated machine I was just checking to make sure I wasn't doing anything stupid and now have totally confused myself with how the terminals are supposed to be connected.

Both the 4000A and 4200 manuals say that the I+ and I- terminals are connected to the "internal power circuits" and Hi and Lo are the remote sense terminals, and if you have local sense enabled then these are internally connected (as you might expect.)

However ... with local sense on, I cannot get a sensible output from either the 4000A or a 4200 if I used the I+ and I- terminals, but the Hi and Lo terminals are fine. Further on in the manuals it actually shows the use of Hi and Lo for simple two wire connections ... seemingly contradicting the earlier comments.

If it was just the 4000A then I'd be suspecting a relay problem (since the terminal is definitely connected in current mode), but as I see the same issue on the 4200 then it's probably 'as designed' but it would be good if someone could just do a quick test for me.

Very simple test:  if you connect a multimeter to I+ and I- in DCV mode, set the 4000A to 10V output ... do you get the 10V output?

For me I don't get any output ... if I move the negative line down to the Lo terminal then it's fine, and obviously using both Hi and Lo is fine. I just want to see if that's standard behaviour.

Many thanks,

Lee.

Offline maginnovision

• Super Contributor
Re: Datron 4000A -- can someone check something for me?
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2019, 12:27:28 am »
The answer to your test is yes I do. 2 and 4 wire modes, although in 4 wire not exactly the same voltages on each pair.

Offline essele

• Regular Contributor
Re: Datron 4000A -- can someone check something for me?
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2019, 05:51:10 am »
Thanks Maginnovision — more to look at when I pull it apart again.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf