Author Topic: Datron 4000A getting at test points??  (Read 22380 times)

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
Re: Datron 4000A getting at test points??
« Reply #175 on: April 21, 2020, 08:14:37 am »
Scanned (400dpi) and uploaded "Users Handbook" and "Part Lists and Drawings Addendum" for Datron 4000/4000A to http://www.ko4bb.com
Both should be available for download briefly. Still need to scan "Calibration and Servicing Handbook", coming soon.

KO4BB Recent Uploads

I have a sick 490x: the "4903 DC Calibration Unit" starts to work, but gets jammed in a "busy" state.

How similar/different is the 4903 likely to be to the 4000?

If anybody has any manuals, I'd be very interested :)
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline branadic

• Super Contributor
  • Sounds like noise
« Reply #176 on: April 21, 2020, 07:05:49 pm »
feedback.loop

I still have kits available incl. board, components, spacer and cover. A single display kit is 42.68€ plus shipping, or 85.36€ plus shipping for two displays like in Datron4000 calibrator. Honestly I expected more people to need a replacement display.

-branadic-
« Last Edit: October 22, 2022, 06:51:31 pm by branadic »
Computers exist to solve problems that we wouldn't have without them. AI exists to answer questions, we wouldn't ask without it.

Offline feedback.loop

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #177 on: April 22, 2020, 05:12:41 am »
feedback.loop

I still have kits available incl. board, components, spacer and cover. A single display kit is 42.68€ plus shipping, or 85.36€ plus shipping for two display like in Datron4000 calibrator. Honestly I expected more people to need a replacement display.

-branadic-

A bit pricey. I really like your solution except that dim section problem, and I am thinking that, perhaps, I should try to combine your solution with mine. Perhaps you remember, I have my custom display board that replaces the original display board. It receives the data from the main CPU of my 1071 meter, and I have full flexibility to display the data any way I want. The TFT displays I picked turned out to be poor. So I might just drive this display of yours. This should work great. A bit more complicated and expensive than I would like this to be, but nothing is perfect.

Offline branadic

• Super Contributor
  • Sounds like noise
« Reply #178 on: April 22, 2020, 09:16:47 pm »
A bit pricey.

This are the plain costs for the components, no profit for me ;)

-branadic-
Computers exist to solve problems that we wouldn't have without them. AI exists to answer questions, we wouldn't ask without it.

Offline LaserEng

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #179 on: April 23, 2020, 07:32:04 am »
This display replacement looks great. I would be tempted to do away with the comma drive altogether to get the same brightness on the digits as the units seem totally usable without the comma's, I would do this either by removing C20 and C26 on the front panel or R35 and R45 on the digital PCB.

Before reading the cct description I though maybe the commas where using up some of the display multiplexing time for doing the comma's only and thus leaving less time for the digit display but I was wrong and it just appears to be the extra loading of having the comma on that is reducing drive to the remaining segments. Maybe the comma drive signal could be used to switch in a circuit to provide extra current but it seems less hassle to do away with the comma's completely.

Another though is maybe trying to reduce the current available for the comma LED's and see if the rest of the segments get brighter, I guess dimmer comma's would be more aesthetically pleasing than having dim digits.

Less than a 100 euro's for 2 displays seems a bargain to me if you consider the price of used Datron gear, ok, maybe not for the lower end Datron DMM's but definitely for the 4XXX instruments. Seems well worth the price to keep these nice instruments from the landfill.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2020, 08:00:59 am by LaserEng »

The following users thanked this post: branadic

Offline branadic

• Super Contributor
  • Sounds like noise
« Reply #180 on: April 23, 2020, 11:39:28 am »
It is a bargain, not to mention the time and efford I spent to get it working.
Haven't though about the comma yet, but it makes sense, even though separating thousends by a comma is uncommon in Germany.

-branadic-
« Last Edit: October 22, 2022, 06:53:04 pm by branadic »

Offline guenthert

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #181 on: April 23, 2020, 04:38:03 pm »
[..]
Haven't though about the comma yet, but it makes sense, even though separating thousends by a comma is uncommon in Germany.

-branadic-
  That's slightly misleading.  For those not familiar with the notation used in Germany: a comma is used as separator for decimals, the dot is (optionally) used as thousands separator (so exactly the opposite as in e.g. USA).  I think Germans will forgive the usage of a dot as decimal mark (since many devices are either made or designed in the states or made/designed chiefly for that market), but might get slightly confused by comma used to group digits.

Offline feedback.loop

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #182 on: April 23, 2020, 04:49:47 pm »
It is a bargain, not to mention the time end effort I spent to get it working.
-branadic-

Yes, I understand, and thank you very much. I will send you a personal message.

Offline branadic

• Super Contributor
  • Sounds like noise
« Reply #183 on: June 19, 2022, 03:25:43 pm »
Eventually my Datron 4000A stopped working and I could hear some cracking noise before I switched it off immediately. Does someone by accident has a list of (tantalum) caps to order at digikey or the like for a full recap of the unit? Would be very helpful to make that order of all material. Thanks.

-branadic-

Offline branadic

• Super Contributor
  • Sounds like noise
« Reply #184 on: June 30, 2022, 07:32:35 pm »
Attached is my list for capacitors and the replacements I used, just in case someone needs a starting point.

-branadic-
« Last Edit: July 01, 2022, 08:47:31 pm by branadic »

Offline branadic

• Super Contributor
  • Sounds like noise
« Reply #185 on: July 01, 2022, 08:48:07 pm »
Updated the list, it's now in a final state.

-branadic-

Offline chilternview

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #186 on: September 05, 2022, 09:04:37 pm »

I got answer today from NSF Controls Ltd, the "NSF K12 / HALF KEY. BLACK" has the part number 623300010000010. There is a minimum order quantity of 50 off for this part. The cost per switch is £5.83 each and there is a lead time of approx 6 weeks. So maybe we can organize a group buy? Anyone interested in?

-branadic-

I'm also looking for a few of the switches for my Datrons (4000A + 4200). Can you give me the manufacturer's details?

thanks!

Offline esseleTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #187 on: September 06, 2022, 06:51:23 am »
Hi,

I sent the initial query to info@nsfcontrols.co.uk and they were very helpful, but you have to buy a large batch.

I still have a few, how many do you need?

Lee.

Offline chilternview

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #188 on: September 06, 2022, 08:24:28 am »
Lee,

I only need a few - four should be plenty. Would be most appreciative if you have any you're willing to sell.

Offline FFY00

• Contributor
« Reply #189 on: November 23, 2022, 06:37:39 pm »
RE: Switches

I have ordered from https://www.ebay.com/itm/284584941383 and simply replaced their red cap with the black one from the old switch. The red cap is bigger on these switches, but the base is the same.

Offline FFY00

• Contributor
« Reply #190 on: November 29, 2022, 01:17:33 am »
I had to order more switches. The failure point is a little hook that is holding the spring internally, so they are prone to failure with age as the plastic becomes brittle |O

After some search, I managed to find some clones from china. The footprint seems to match, but I haven't received mine yet.

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/1390203/search?SearchText=PB86

Offline chilternview

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #191 on: November 30, 2022, 03:17:32 pm »
You can get the switches from DigiKey ( part # EG1701-ND ). They are £3.62 each in 1 off quantities.

Offline branadic

• Super Contributor
  • Sounds like noise
« Reply #192 on: March 23, 2023, 06:02:28 pm »
Attached the spacer in different thickness (1 mm, 2 mm, 3 mm). Feedback.loop suggested to increase thickness to achieve more diffused segments.

-branadic-

Offline Scotia1982

« Reply #193 on: November 17, 2023, 12:04:11 pm »
Hi, Do you still have the Kits available as I have a Datron 1071 that uses the same display. 

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf