Author Topic: DELL XPS 9570 burns MOSFET when using thunderbolt dock  (Read 924 times)

Offline RJSCTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
DELL XPS 9570 burns MOSFET when using thunderbolt dock
« on: September 03, 2021, 10:38:30 am »
I bought a Dell WDTB19 Docking Station to use with my XPS 15 9570 (also bought used a week prior) but noticed the battery discharging all the way to 0% when using the dock and the laptop heating up abnormally next to the thunderbolt port.
Then I found out about the PQ208 MOSFET burning up in this laptops after a BIOS Update.
There are many other reported cases at Dell's forum: https://www.dell.com/community/XPS/XPS-15-9570-TB16-USB-Type-C-no-longer-charging/td-p/7317594/page/7
On the Dell's forum, their solution was a motherboard replacement under warranty, but mine is out of warranty now.
Dell doesn't seem to recognize it's their fault and at least warn users not to upgrade the BIOS and use a thunderbolt dock.
How it looked at the start:

After I desoldered the MOSFET (PCB is charred underneath and the big pad lifted)

I am yet to understand how this happens.
Below is a part of the schematic (page 57).
PQ208 is part of a Back-to-Back MOSFET switch arrangement that connects the USB Type C Vbus to the the same part of the charging circuit as the DC barrel jack.
Maybe during firmware update the microcontroller handling EN_PD_HV1 released the signal but I can't see how it would have burned the MOSFET since power flows from source to drain and it wouldn't be flowing through the body diode to heat the mosfet up.
I would do some bodge wiring of a mosfet here, but this trace and MOSFET handles 6.5A to power the laptop and recharge the battery.
The Drain pad is lifted, I dont know of any glue that will handle the reflow temperatures of a new MOSFET here.
Do you have any suggestions for repair?
Full PDF schematic is attached for looking around.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2021, 10:42:26 am by RJSC »

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
Re: DELL XPS 9570 burns MOSFET when using thunderbolt dock
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2021, 10:48:49 am »
This is indeed an unuasual fault and I regret that I cannot help explain it.

I can, however, advise that Cyanocrylate glue (superglue) is used to re-adhere copper pads to a PCB and it does normally survive reflow temperatures despite a notional maximum temperature of 250C. I would suggest use of a soldering iron for reflow in preference to hot air, where possible, though.
If I have helped you please consider a donation : https://gofund.me/c86b0a2c

Offline DavidAlfa

• Super Contributor
Re: DELL XPS 9570 burns MOSFET when using thunderbolt dock
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2021, 01:51:51 pm »
Check the signal at the gate and PR288.
If by any reasons it's not switching correctly, ex. floating, the mosfet is likely to blow up due overheating.
Hantek DSO2x1x            Drive        FAQ          DON'T BUY HANTEK! (Aka HALF-MADE)
Stm32 Soldering FW      Forum      Github      Donate

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf