Author Topic: Do real repair shops still exist in Oz and if so, where can I find one?  (Read 2527 times)

Offline jonwilTopic starter

• Contributor
I have a Nokia N900 mobile phone (a phone that, for all sorts of reasons I wont go into here, I have zero plans to replace with an iPhone or Android device anytime soon) with a USB connector that is failing. Its a known fault with the phone and there are repair instructions online. Only problem is, I dont have either the tools (soldering iron, special screwdrivers, multi-meter etc) or the skills/know-how to try a repair myself so I am wondering if anyone knows of any repair shops in Brisbane (or SEQ more generally) that can still do board level work rather than just replacing broken screens and stuff like most shops seem to do these days...

Google isn't showing any useful links so I am hoping someone out there knows of a way I can get my precious phone fixed so I dont have to buy a brand new expensive phone that wont be anywhere near as good as my trusty old N900.

Offline AlfBaz

• Super Contributor
Re: Do real repair shops still exist in Oz and if so, where can I find one?
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2015, 12:40:09 pm »
Assuming there are monthly computer fairs/markets up there, go to one and ask around. They may even repair it while you wait

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2015, 12:48:16 pm »
I am not aware of any such markets in Brisbane and Google isn't helping me out with that either.

Offline nowlan

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2015, 01:29:15 pm »
There are heaps of mobile phone repair stores. Im sure they can solder a new connector for you.

Offline briselec

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2015, 09:05:21 pm »
Maybe someone at  hackerspace will help you fix it.
http://www.meetup.com/hackbne/

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2015, 10:09:14 pm »
There are heaps of mobile phone repair stores. Im sure they can solder a new connector for you.
The chops I have tried so far dont seem to do solder work, they just replace bits (e.g. broken screen or whatever)

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2015, 11:21:37 am »
Whoever suggested hackbne, thank you for that, I have posted on their "bazaar" forum asking if anyone can help me out (since that seems to be the most appropriate forum to post such things on)

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2015, 03:00:38 pm »
Went to the HSBNE open evening and I dont know exactly what they did to my phone but it seems to be working now. YAY :)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf