Author Topic: DOD R-431 31 band E.Q. had much 60hz hum, now fixed  (Read 338 times)

Offline CaptDonTopic starter

• Super Contributor
DOD R-431 31 band E.Q. had much 60hz hum, now fixed
« on: December 05, 2022, 01:59:57 am »
I made some improvements on the low frequency end of my night club sound system and traced a significant amount of hum coming from the graphic E.Q. I was surprised to find the hum at pure 60Hz. Moving the 120Hz control made no difference. First off, the unit is not chassis grounded and also doesn't have any bypass capacitors to the chassis. The power supply wires to the various circuit boards looked very feeble so I beefed up the grounds with much heavier wire. NO CHANGE in hum level. I then found when I placed my hand near the tiny power transformer (it is magnetically unshielded) the hum reduced so I installed some copper shielding around the transformer and a copper riser between the transformer and the audio boards. BARELY ANY CHANGE. Again I noticed placing my hand in that area reduced the hum. Aha.... The 120v.a.c. hot wire and fuse holder are barely 1/4 inch away from audio hi impedance circuitry. I installed a grounded copper shield between the 120 volt a.c. wiring and the audio circuits. Hum reduced by at least 20Db. There is still a tiny bit of hum coming from within the E.Q. unit, but it is small enough that I can accept it. Feeble and poor design throughout, and yet DOD audio gear is generally ranked well in quality for pro gear. Just wanted to share my story of marginal gear which took some time to figure out.
Collector and repairer of vintage and not so vintage electronic gadgets and test equipment. What's the difference between a pizza and a musician? A pizza can feed a family of four!! Classically trained guitarist. Sound engineer.

Offline AkibUddin

• Contributor
  • Be proud of who you are
Re: DOD R-431 31 band E.Q. had much 60hz hum, now fixed
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2022, 03:36:06 am »
I made some improvements on the low frequency end of my night club sound system and traced a significant amount of hum coming from the graphic E.Q. I was surprised to find the hum at pure 60Hz. Moving the 120Hz control made no difference. First off, the unit is not chassis grounded and also doesn't have any bypass capacitors to the chassis. The power supply wires to the various circuit boards looked very feeble so I beefed up the grounds with much heavier wire. NO CHANGE in hum level. I then found when I placed my hand near the tiny power transformer (it is magnetically unshielded) the hum reduced so I installed some copper shielding around the transformer and a copper riser between the transformer and the audio boards. BARELY ANY CHANGE. Again I noticed placing my hand in that area reduced the hum. Aha.... The 120v.a.c. hot wire and fuse holder are barely 1/4 inch away from audio hi impedance circuitry. I installed a grounded copper shield between the 120 volt a.c. wiring and the audio circuits. Hum reduced by at least 20Db. There is still a tiny bit of hum coming from within the E.Q. unit, but it is small enough that I can accept it. Feeble and poor design throughout, and yet DOD audio gear is generally ranked well in quality for pro gear. Just wanted to share my story of marginal gear which took some time to figure out.
Can you show with us about your work  ^-^
Best regards,
Akib Zabed

Offline CaptDonTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Re: DOD R-431 31 band E.Q. had much 60hz hum, now fixed
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2022, 01:18:44 pm »
Sadly, the unit is reassembled and back in use in the equipment rack. I should have taken some photos. I had always noted a bit of hum in the low frequency folded horn bass bin but recently had the chance to connect the low frequency amplifier to a cabinet loaded with 18" speakers and the hum became very pronounced in a quiet room. This sent me searching for the cause. I though it would show up as ground loops or poor interconnect cabling but was surprised to find what I would call a design flaw in a piece of audio equipment. This particular system is used for bands in small night clubs, American Legion, Veterans of foreign wars, and the 'animal clubs' Elks, Moose, Eagles and the like. Cheers mates!!
Collector and repairer of vintage and not so vintage electronic gadgets and test equipment. What's the difference between a pizza and a musician? A pizza can feed a family of four!! Classically trained guitarist. Sound engineer.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf