Author Topic: Connector wire plug fix for my amplifier  (Read 1991 times)

Offline coromonadalix

• Super Contributor
Re: Connector wire plug fix for my amplifier
« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2020, 01:07:27 pm »
I'm sure it can be hand assembled if properly supported, with an appropriate punch-down tool.  A thick-ended flat bladed screwdriver may be good enough, but ideally the tool should have a rounded groove the full length of the end to support the insulation, and a notch to clear the fingers in the shell that grip the insulation.  Its probably not worth the effort to make a decent punch-down tool for it v.s. soldering the wires direct to the board.

Be careful if using a knife blade to strip the wires - its far too easy to accidentally notch the core and if you do so the wire tends to snap at the weak spot if its bent after soldering.

Your wrong it need a special crimp tool   not a screw driver push,  the pins cut the insulator and crimp over the wire when the wire insert in the pin

I use them at my job,  you smash a screw driver in it and youre prone to have problems later

Online Ian.M

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2020, 01:31:36 pm »
Yes the OEM tooling is a special die set and a parallel jaw press tool, but its *NOT* a crimp as the tool does *NOT* deform the contact to grip the wire.   I still maintain it could be hand assembled one wire at a time with an appropriate punch-down tool, but agree that the odds of success with a plain screwdriver and a used connector are both poor and highly dependent on the skill and experience of the user.

Offline shueardmTopic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2020, 02:25:49 am »
I really appreciate everyone's efforts, unfortunately soldering the point in question did not fix the problem and I believe it was never the joint to begin with.
Now I am going to sell the unit for parts, it's a Yamaha RX-V1 which should get me a few bucks. Too expensive to get someone look at it, in my city the professionals are too busy and overcharge.

Online Ian.M

• Super Contributor
« Reply #28 on: April 23, 2020, 04:13:01 am »
So, before you give up and break it for parts, why not describe the problem here, with exact symptoms and see if any of us can help you fix it?

• Contributor
« Reply #29 on: April 23, 2020, 06:49:59 am »
So, before you give up and break it for parts, why not describe the problem here, with exact symptoms and see if any of us can help you fix it?

It's all the buttons on that board Ian, none work

Both ends of that cable looked good, even before I pulled them out.

Online Ian.M

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30 on: April 23, 2020, 07:23:32 am »
As its got two resistor button ladders, which must go to separate ADC input pins on the  system control MCU, a common fault would have to be either missing ground to the board, missing supply to the pullup resistors for both ladders, or a problem with the MCU.  The MCU may have a hardware fault or it may be crashing due to bad inputs.   Check if it still responds to its remote control, and check that all other buttons and controls not on the button board work.  If you find anything else wrong, fixing it may 'magically' fix the button board . . .

OTOH if the MCU's got a hardware fault, its BER unless you can source a good replacement display board.

• Contributor
« Reply #31 on: April 23, 2020, 07:57:06 am »
The remote control alternate method works, where a button exists for it on the remote, like 6CH input and EFFECT OFF, PROGRAM selection and source selections..
It's impossible to test sound though since the main speakers are not set , since the're no remote button for main speaker asign.  |O
« Last Edit: April 23, 2020, 07:58:43 am by shueardm »

• Contributor
« Reply #32 on: April 23, 2020, 08:23:51 am »
Just found that some of the buttons on the button board work for the tuner, since I was not on the tuner before I hadn't noticed it.

Online Ian.M

• Super Contributor
« Reply #33 on: April 23, 2020, 08:26:16 am »
If the remote works that means the MCU is responding.  Its not crashed or stalled.   The next thing to check would be voltages on the two KEY signals relative to the common as you press each button in turn.  If you don't see a significant voltage change for each individual button push, it could be one button stuck on which would disable all buttons past it on the same ladder.

• Contributor
« Reply #34 on: April 23, 2020, 08:31:21 am »
I dont have a VU meter not know how they work.  :palm:

• Contributor
« Reply #35 on: April 23, 2020, 01:28:05 pm »
One ace up my sleeve.
I have 4 of the same Yamaha amp and got the nerve to completely swap out one of the other front panels onto this unit, the whole front chassis, LCD, button assembly.
The result is.... Houston, we have a problem. The same buttons on the certified front panel failed in the new host, so the issue is further up the chain , somewhere.

Online Ian.M

• Super Contributor
« Reply #36 on: April 23, 2020, 02:03:33 pm »
Hmmm.  I wonder if the main control MCU isn't on the front panel.  Those button signals may go back over another connector to the main board.   

If you can find a free online or downloadable service manual for your Yamaha RX-V1, post a link to it and we may be able to give you some suggestions for further troubleshooting.

• Contributor
« Reply #37 on: April 23, 2020, 10:14:48 pm »
Hmmm.  I wonder if the main control MCU isn't on the front panel.  Those button signals may go back over another connector to the main board.   

If you can find a free online or downloadable service manual for your Yamaha RX-V1, post a link to it and we may be able to give you some suggestions for further troubleshooting.

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/787834/Yamaha-Dsp-Ax1-Rx-V1.html

Don't put yourself out, it's a lot to read.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf