Author Topic: Eaton Evolution 850 UPS repair  (Read 977 times)

Offline microbug

• Frequent Contributor
  • Electronics Enthusiast
    • microbug.uk
Eaton Evolution 850 UPS repair
« on: July 01, 2017, 03:44:26 pm »
Hi all,

I've got a dead Eaton Evolution 850 UPS (board images), left over from an RMA (seller didn't want it back). I have new batteries for it and the device powers on, but a warning LED lights up and it quickly powers down again. The main board is connected to C13/14 inputs and outputs, a management interface board and a transformer of some sort (presumably an auto transformer since this is a line-interactive UPS). I can take pics of all these but they all look fine and there's not much to see.

I opened the thing up and found a suspicious-looking power resistor (pictured). It's marked '10WS10KJ', I found this datasheet that seems to include it (the dimensions also fit). By the marking it should be a 10k±5% resistor, and it measures 9.8k -- could something still be wrong with it?

I've checked the two fuses near the battery inputs and they're fine. Various connectors aren't connected right now as I've had to remove them to get a good look at the board.

Any ideas?

~~ microbug
« Last Edit: July 01, 2017, 03:47:20 pm by microbug »
It's not your beliefs that make you a better person, it's your behaviour. — Greywoolfe  •  microbug.uk (not yet complete)

Just because I have lots of posts, doesn't mean I'm any good at this!

Offline ovnr

• Frequent Contributor
  • Lurker
Re: Eaton Evolution 850 UPS repair
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2017, 03:54:43 pm »
The resistor is fine, some idiot just put glue on it in the factory, which has become rather toasty.

The following users thanked this post: microbug

Offline microbug

• Frequent Contributor
  • Electronics Enthusiast
    • microbug.uk
Re: Eaton Evolution 850 UPS repair
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2017, 03:55:37 pm »
Oh well, anything else obviously wrong here?
It's not your beliefs that make you a better person, it's your behaviour. — Greywoolfe  •  microbug.uk (not yet complete)

Just because I have lots of posts, doesn't mean I'm any good at this!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf