Author Topic: EEVBLOG - Brymen BM235 Meter problem  (Read 6560 times)

Offline Robert ContractsTopic starter

• Contributor
EEVBLOG - Brymen BM235 Meter problem
« on: September 01, 2018, 10:45:16 am »
EEVBLOG - Brymen BM235 Meter problem

No Readings on meter.
Meter appears to do self reset constantly with delay.

* Rev C firmware
* Checked Fuses
* Replaced Batteries
* Checked leads with my china $10 special.

Purchased in 2016, used about 2 x dozen times in the garage and home just doing basic low voltage work I just wanted a quality auto ranging meter, with good casing and built in stand. All the other junk meters I own are not just the cheap and nasty bargain bin specials.. (they all still work thou)

Searched forums, not seen anyone with same problem ?!
Meter is like brand new ...

Any useful suggestions to fix it ? or is it just $140 junk.

Offline TheDefpom

• Frequent Contributor
  • YouTuber Nerd - I Fix Stuff
    • The Defpom's Channel
Re: EEVBLOG - Brymen BM235 Meter problem
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2018, 07:17:12 pm »
I suggest pulling it apart and cleaning the switch contacts, maybe there is some debris in there, or a problem with one of the contacts themselves.
Cheers Scott

Check out my Electronics Repair, Mailbag, or Review Videos at https://www.youtube.com/TheDefpom

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2018, 05:10:44 am »
You could think that, but would that be the case if it fails to read anything on Auto, Voltage or Ohms ?  \$\Omega\$

Plus it keeps doing a 'reset' say every 30 seconds where all #CHAR on screen are displayed like its been powered on.  I dont recall it doing this before and would not think its normal .

Can anyone tell me now that the meter does not display anything apart from whats in the photo...

Thanks
Rob :-- :-BROKE

Offline ttelectronic

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2018, 05:40:11 am »
I don't recall the symptoms but I know at some point there was some solder joint quality issues in a batch. Might be worth inspecting to see if any of the solder joints look poor on the components.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2018, 09:19:20 am »
There was this issue, but symptoms don't seem to fit?

The following users thanked this post: ttelectronic

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2018, 09:31:03 am »
Seen that before can check.

Surprised if no one else had the same problem. meter is like new condition not done anything like drop or spill anything on it so quite frustrating buy something for and its like disposable.

R

Offline ttelectronic

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2018, 09:59:54 am »
Thanks Dave, that's the one I was thinking about and really I think the only time I can remember hearing of trouble with the BM235. I've used mine quite a bit and it's rock solid with no issues. I bought mine in May 2016.

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2018, 11:46:13 am »
Yip -

Been watching the youtube channel and decided to buy something quality not the typical bargain bin junk. I use it mostly for doing basic low voltages DC like car or doing basic testing of things like switches, fuses etc.  Thought would be good to get something with rubber case and stand and lead holder as my other cheap meters always getting tangled in things and pain to read.

R

Offline Ordinaryman1971

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2018, 06:22:37 pm »
Change battery, see if it helps. Use one of the meters you have to see what's the voltage on it... but just change on suspicion.

Offline retiredcaps

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2018, 08:25:50 pm »
Change battery, see if it helps. Use one of the meters you have to see what's the voltage on it... but just change on suspicion.
In the very first post, OP says he already changed batteries.

Offline Bashstreet

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2018, 04:38:40 pm »
First of all sorry for you troubles with the meter it is never fun to invest into something and find it not working as you expected.

My feelings are that there might be solder joint problem and you might have bumped the meter and it was all it took to cause the error.
Maybe Dave can have a look at it if he has time and make video about the repair it could make interesting episode.

Best of luck any case hope it gets sorted.  :)

Offline retiredcaps

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2018, 07:26:48 am »
Maybe Dave can have a look at it if he has time and make video about the repair it could make interesting episode.
+1, send it back to Dave.

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2018, 02:33:55 pm »
First thing I did was change the batteries
Check the leads

:-(

• Contributor
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2018, 01:21:35 pm »
Well sent the meter into Dave / Mailbag about 2-3 weeks ago.....

R

• Contributor
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2018, 01:40:54 pm »
Well Still no update - over 6 weeks now sent in to mailbag shame its like simply a disposable item that was like brand new.. :-- :-- :-- :-- :--

:horse:   |O   

Offline retiredcaps

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2018, 08:56:55 pm »
You need to ping Dave via PM or get his attention.

I would agree that 6 weeks deserves a  :--.

Offline Kilrah

• Supporter
« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2018, 09:24:31 pm »
Mailbag is NOT the right way to send  :palm:
Mailbag is "gifts to open on camera whenever you get time" and basically guarantees it's gonna wait on a shelf for a few weeks.

For store items you want to contact him through the store and do a proper RMA procedure. Like with just about any other store.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2018, 12:13:32 am by Kilrah »

Offline Terry01

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2018, 10:26:47 pm »
Contact Dave with any info you can about what the parcel was like you sent. I dare say he gets tons of mailbag parcels but maybe if yours has a stand out colour or something like that he may be able to pick yours out the pile and sort it out for you.

Hope you get it fixed asap buddy  :(
Sparks and Smoke means i'm nearly there!

Offline royarms

« Reply #18 on: December 25, 2018, 03:01:23 am »
This would make an interesting video. I hope Dave finds it and makes a video. Might take some time if it's mixed in with a pile of mailbag submissions.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Offline Rasz

• Super Contributor
    • My random blog.
« Reply #19 on: December 25, 2018, 03:40:00 pm »
was like brand new..

Quote from: Robert Contracts
Purchased in 2016

whats the warranty situation in AU? afaik statutory protection applies for at least couple of years on something meant to last a long time. Why would you send it to mailbag instead of ordianary warranty claim? and why would you whine here about something send in a mailbag? Dave said multiple times mailbag items often sit for months under a mountain of other mail.
Who logs in to gdm? Not I, said the duck.
My fireplace is on fire, but in all the wrong places.

The following users thanked this post: Kilrah

Offline Ordinaryman1971

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #20 on: December 26, 2018, 06:15:28 pm »
I've just got one of those with C_err... calibration error? It doesn't take readings on anything lower than 5V, just shows dashes on the screen. I just wonder if there is way to re-calibrate the lower ranges and bring it up to snuff.
Everything else works and higher ranges on voltage measurements work as well.
Any known procedure to enter calibration menu and navigate through it?

Offline Ordinaryman1971

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #21 on: December 26, 2018, 06:50:01 pm »
Answering my own question:

thank you Jack Zimmermann
https://www.jackenhack.com/calibrating-brymen-bm-series-multimeter/amp/#ampChromeExtension=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.jackenhack.com%2Fcalibrating-brymen-bm-series-multimeter%2F

The calibration procedure is the same for a lot of Brymen and Greenlee multimeters.

First, turn the multimeter off
While holding down Select and Hold buttons, turn the selector dial to Ω within a second. If everything worked, you should get 250.000Ω on your multimeter display. If not, turn off and try again. It’s slightly fiddly to both press two buttons and rotate the dial.
After you get the 250.000Ω on display, rotate the selector dial to the part you want to calibrate, in my case, DC Volts.
When calibrating DC voltage, the first one is 0 Volts. Just connect a short banana test lead between the COM and VOLT socket to short out the input to give you 0 Volts.
On the BM869s, press the Range and Δ buttons simultaneously to get the multimeter ready. On other models, you need to push Range and the Hz buttons.
Press the Range and Hold buttons to store the value.
The display now shows 5.0000 V on the display. Connect the 5 Volt reference, while at the same time measuring with a good meter and adjust the potentiometer to get to 5.00000 Volts.
On the BM869s, press the Range and Δ buttons simultaneously to get ready, or Range and the Hz buttons.
Press the Range and Hold buttons at the same time to store the value.
The display now displays 50.000 V. Connect the power supply to the potentiometer, adjust the voltage to exactly 50 Volts.
On the BM869s, press the Range and Δ buttons simultaneously to get ready or press Range and the Hz buttons on other models.
Press Range and Hold to store the calibration value for 50 Volts.
If you have 500 Volts available, you can continue with the calibration, repeating the above procedure. Otherwise, you can just turn off the meter. The stored values for 5 and 50 Volts remains.

• Contributor
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2019, 01:43:53 pm »
Hi Kilrah,

I did, Emailed him details of the situation / problems few weeks before sending it in as had no reply.

But yet my 10$ china junk bin special still working after all these years, used it last week when sorting out the 2nd battery for camping...!

R
« Last Edit: January 11, 2019, 01:47:39 pm by Robert Contracts »

The following users thanked this post: ricardomardi

• Contributor
« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2019, 03:24:55 am »
Well no reply, no update - ZERO Response .... very lame buy a $$ meter and its throw away garbage. Buy throw away garbage and it lasts longer. My $17 meter from aldi with Auto Voltage, temp sensor etc works great.

thanks for nothing , big let down trying to support local ...

owell lesson learnt again.

:horse:

Offline Muttley Snickers

• Supporter
  • Cursed: 679 times
« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2019, 03:56:56 am »
I was one of the first to receive a BM-235 meter and it is still working exactly as one would expect, I also follow related threads and conversations but haven't seen the same type of failure anywhere else. Perhaps you should send him a personal message and include a link to this thread as many here who own this meter would be interested in the outcome.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2019, 04:20:01 am »
Well no reply, no update - ZERO Response .... very lame buy a $$ meter and its throw away garbage. Buy throw away garbage and it lasts longer. My $17 meter from aldi with Auto Voltage, temp sensor etc works great.
thanks for nothing , big let down trying to support local ...
owell lesson learnt again.

There is no BM235 on my mailbag shelf. Also just noticed this thread is from 6 months ago.
Also, no record of an email from your email adress listed on your forum profile, nor any email based on your fall name. Several email from a Robert about the BM235, none from you about this issue.
So  :-//

Offline ricardomardi

« Reply #26 on: December 26, 2020, 09:19:19 pm »
Thanks so much for your post and instructions! It worked wonders for my BM257s. I was looking everywhere and finally found it here. Mine issue was that the Ohms meter function was not happening, I would select the Ohms range and it would just show a, 'Ohm' symbol. Fixed it in two secs.! Cheers to all and a happy new one for 2021!!!

Offline ricardomardi

« Reply #27 on: December 26, 2020, 09:22:06 pm »
A big thank you to 'Ordinaryman1971'....Thanks so much for your post and instructions! It worked wonders for my BM257s. I was looking everywhere and finally found it here. Mine issue was that the Ohms meter function was not happening, I would select the Ohms range and it would just show a, 'Ohm' symbol. Fixed it in two secs.! Cheers to all and a happy new one for 2021!!!

• Contributor
« Reply #28 on: May 04, 2021, 03:06:02 pm »
Evening,

Well came across the shortcut in browser and thought would read the comments - and can see Dave replied to this chat.

Here is a screen shot of email from Dave / then me replying back asking about the problem - not sure if have any photos of the meter boxed for postage , but least I know that i didnt enter wrong email address and just replied.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf