Author Topic: Extech LCR-200 - repair ?  (Read 10168 times)

Offline mladen82Topic starter

• Contributor
Extech LCR-200 - repair ?
« on: August 31, 2013, 11:58:39 am »
I managed to destroy just the new Extech LCR Meter LCR-200
I accidentally connect it to 220V AC, how? better not to ask
Basically now when starting the display shows only ER01 and immediately shuts down.
I used it a few months and  can say that I was happy but not too happy.
Because otherwise I do repairs, so  opened it and  immediately noticed that  burned four resistors. By colors I'd say they were 100 ohm 1%. I photographed everything and you will see. I replaced them hoping that will solve the defect, however, none of that. It seems that too burned integrated circuit U6 and some SMD resistors. Resistors are not a problem but this IC. The manufacturer has deliberately erased markings.
I contacted the Extech manufacturer directly related to service but I'm a little unkindly refused for answer, simply buy a new instrument.
By the way I noticed that this instrument is in fact a copy of the instrument Lutron LCR-9184, according to the markings on the pcb.

I raised the topic with the hope that someone will help me find the IC in question and might be able to fix this instrument.

« Last Edit: August 31, 2013, 05:30:34 pm by mladen82 »

• Contributor
Re: Extech LCR-200 - repair ?
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2013, 04:49:26 pm »
anyone can help?

Offline kripton2035

• Super Contributor
    • kripton2035 schematics repository
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2013, 05:15:40 pm »
I'm pretty sure it's an ES51920 from cyrustek, package and functions match.
but
the datasheet is not public, and the IC is not public available ... only to lcr manufacturers ...
try to ask cyrustek for a sample, explaining your problem ?
good luck.

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2013, 05:18:02 am »
I'm pretty sure it's an ES51920 from cyrustek, package and functions match.
but
the datasheet is not public, and the IC is not public available ... only to lcr manufacturers ...
try to ask cyrustek for a sample, explaining your problem ?
good luck.
Many thanks for your reply and help!
It seems that there is some datasheet   http://www.cyrustek.com.tw/spec/ES51920.pdf but not sure if is complete, and it seems that this chipset is very common for use in  lcr meters
I will try to get one like you said from Cyrustek, if can't will try some other way from China.

Once again thanks and i will post what i did.

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2013, 05:21:14 pm »
Thanks to kripton2035 and generous support from Cyrustek  i repaired my LCR200.  :-+
I contacted Cyrustek and they sent me for FREE x2 pcs of damaged ES51920 chip.
Never met such positive support from manufacturer like this from Cyrustek.

I will never buy anything from Extech beacuse they refused me about repair, they just stated ''buy new one''.  :--

Offline Wytnucls

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2013, 06:10:33 pm »
Wow, fantastic. Kudos to Cyrustek. Those chips are next to impossible to obtain, usually. You must have had a pretty good sob story.  :'(
Perseverance pays off once again. I think I would just have bought another one.  ::)
I don't think Extech keeps parts for their OEM meters. If they are liable under the warranty, they would just give you a replacement.

Offline kripton2035

• Super Contributor
    • kripton2035 schematics repository
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2013, 07:59:58 pm »
wow I'm glad to see I helped in that way, and I'm glad to see such a customer support !
I asked for samples once ago and they kindly refused to send any, and also no complete datasheet...
and also lucky it was only that chip that was defective !
be carefull with mains voltages next time !

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2013, 08:14:36 pm »
Wow, fantastic. Kudos to Cyrustek. Those chips are next to impossible to obtain, usually. You must have had a pretty good sob story.  :'(
Actually, at first i said that i need for experimenting and so on but they right away said  that they only supporting for repair and that will send for free for that purpose. I even wanted to pay and ask for information how and were can buy. Then I admitted that I just need for repair and they send me next day.
Quote from: Wytnucls
Perseverance pays off once again. I think I would just have bought another one.  ::)
I don't think Extech keeps parts for their OEM meters. If they are liable under the warranty, they would just give you a replacement.
Extech was at least  able to point me where I can get information on possible repair. On the contrary, I was very unkindly refused.

If equipment can be repaired for reasonable price it is always smarter than buying new one.

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2013, 08:24:03 pm »
wow I'm glad to see I helped in that way, and I'm glad to see such a customer support !
I asked for samples once ago and they kindly refused to send any, and also no complete datasheet...
and also lucky it was only that chip that was defective !
be carefull with mains voltages next time !
I learned - never to use the same probes on same workbench but with two different instruments . I wanted to measure the voltage 220V with DMM but I soon realized that DMM shows 0V but LCR200 burning.

My friend thank you once again, if you need any help regarding repair of electronic equipment just contact me.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf