Author Topic: Faulty Hall Lid sensor laptop  (Read 5119 times)

Offline Sublime89Topic starter

Faulty Hall Lid sensor laptop
« on: January 29, 2016, 01:03:32 am »
My gateway nv53 laptop screen will not turn on.i think it is the hall sensor because I had a problem in the past where I had to press on the lcd screen where the magnet is to get the screen to turn on.The screen will not come on at all anymore so I think the hall sensor finally failed.

I saw another thread on this forum where a guy removed his hall sensor from motherboard and it fixed the problem but I'm not sure how to do that.supposely I would need to jump the connection so screen is always on.Here is the thread about that.

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/defective-hall-sensor/

Here is a screenshot of my board with the hall sensor I need to remove.not my pics though

http://www.3designstudios.com/lidswitch/lid-switch-2.jpg

http://www.3designstudios.com/lidswitch/lid-switch-1.jpg
« Last Edit: January 29, 2016, 01:16:50 am by Sublime89 »

Offline wraper

• Supporter
Re: Faulty Hall Lid sensor laptop
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2016, 01:22:10 am »
I really doubt it is a hall sensor. Does it work with external display?

Offline wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2016, 01:28:09 am »
I had a problem in the past where I had to press on the lcd screen where the magnet is to get the screen to turn on.
It's more like you had a problem with the LCD panel or the cable/connector/ccfl inverter (if it's an old laptop) which you were pressing. How pressing the magnet can bring the display to life in any reasonable way  :-//, especially in the position in which the hall sensor does not sense it at all? Magnet is only for switching the display off, when the lid is open, hall sensor does not care is there is a magnet at all.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2016, 01:42:02 am by wraper »

Offline Sublime89Topic starter

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2016, 01:43:55 am »
No it doesn't work with external. I looked up before months ago when I first had the issue and someone with the same computer on another forum said if you press on the bottom left screen where the magnet that controls hall switch(maybe not hall switch) is located it will turn the screen on but this wont work anymore so I always figured it was the magnetic lid switch failing.i wasnt pressing on any wires I was pressing on magnet when it turned the screen on.several other people said by pressing the magnetic part turned there gateway screen on another forum.

Last time the computer was running it froze and I couldn't use mouse pad or keyboard and was forced to shut down with power button.the computer was really hot too. Is this possible a sign of failed graphic chip if not lid switch.

Offline wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2016, 02:14:30 am »
Is this possible a sign of failed graphic chip if not lid switch.
Yes it is. In your case the lid switch is very unlikely to be the cause of the fault. Are there any signs of the laptop actually booting? Like HDD led showing activity.

Offline Rasz

• Super Contributor
    • My random blog.
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2016, 04:53:12 am »
pressing on magnet  :scared:

tons of people with same problem http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/id-1736826/gateway-nv53-showing-display-powered.html
of course one village idiot "pc tech" suggests cooking laptops wrapped in rags to magically fix faulty gpu ...

this one makes most sense:
I also have NV53. When the power is OFF, close the lid then open it pushing it all the way back. Place it at approximately 90 degrees angle, Hold the lower left part of the lid (lcd monitor) like your bending it (pressing your thumb lower front of the frame of the monitor while the rest of your fingers holding the back). Then turn the power ON. If it doesn't work the first time, turn it OFF. Then repeat the procedure above. If nothing works, BUY power button assembly with plastic cover, spring and cable $59.92

seems something is shorting near hinge mechanism?
Who logs in to gdm? Not I, said the duck.
My fireplace is on fire, but in all the wrong places.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf