Electronics > Repair

Fitting modern snap-in capacitors into older snap-in through-hole placement

(1/2) > >>

brandon.arnold:
Hi all. I'm looking to replace this large capacitor (labeled C627), in the two photos. Looking at the modern equivalent cap datasheets, there are a couple of snap-in mounting types. See the screenshot below, showing both. The old one I'm replacing is the "LI" type on the right.

I don't actually think anyone makes this pin placement anymore! So I've already got the left-most "VS" types on the way.

Has anyone done this retrofit before? I would love advice on how to stabilize it. The best I've got right now is to bend the pin and hope for the best. Maybe hot glue.

Audiorepair:
Hot melt glue does not always stick to everything.

Silicone sealant pretty much sticks well to everything.

floobydust:
That is a high quality capacitor that typically outlasts many others. Are you sure you need to replace it?
You can find snap-ins that match the diagonal pin spacing i.e. 10 or 15mm and fit that in, the cap ends up likely rotated a bit.

brandon.arnold:

--- Quote from: Audiorepair on May 29, 2023, 07:17:39 pm ---Hot melt glue does not always stick to everything.

Silicone sealant pretty much sticks well to everything.

--- End quote ---

Thanks for the tip! I will consider that. Does seem like something I would regret when I'm 60, replacing these again.

--- Quote from: floobydust on May 29, 2023, 07:33:00 pm ---That is a high quality capacitor that typically outlasts many others. Are you sure you need to replace it?
You can find snap-ins that match the diagonal pin spacing i.e. 10 or 15mm and fit that in, the cap ends up likely rotated a bit.

--- End quote ---

The snap-ins I have ordered should fit, in that case!

I am having wobbliness on my monitor at high brightness levels that leads me to suspect this large capacitor (see around 0:17 before the end of the video below. I've had the other caps replaced and the flyback on this monitor is impossible to find.

--- End quote ---

thm_w:
Do you have any tool or access to one that can test capacitance or ESR?

Its very rare that a main high voltage capacitor fails, usually its the lower voltage output capacitors or bootstrap cap. But you've replaced those and it had no effect? I don't see them in the photo, all of the small caps in the photo look to be original.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version