Author Topic: Fixing the office water cooler/heater  (Read 715 times)

Offline iXodTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Fixing the office water cooler/heater
« on: January 28, 2022, 03:18:28 am »
The Home Office, that is…

5 gallon (20L?) water bottle on top, taps below for chilled and heated water. Digital display / controller on top just forward of the water bottle.

This Whirlpool unit (model WHKM-D30) neither heats nor chills. The display allows selection of 3 temperature settings for each heating and chilling (low, med, high). The controls seem to operate visually but no evidence of the chiller compressor starting nor of heat being generated.

My question is: do these things have a “water present” sensor? I presume if the unit was completely dry, there is some safety circuit that would disallow both heating and chilling to initiate?

Looking for a common failure point and this seems a likely item. But maybe there is a different method of disallowing heating and chilling?

Or is the controller just borked?

User manual:

https://www.whirlpool.com/content/dam/global/documents/199906/use-and-care-guide-8579541.pdf

Thanks.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2022, 04:50:14 am by iXod »

Offline Renate

• Super Contributor
Re: Fixing the office water cooler/heater
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2022, 12:57:45 pm »
Why don't you take off a panel or two and see if there is a helpful schematic there inside?

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2022, 01:11:11 pm »
Normally a water level switch, typically a float switch. Undo the top cover and you will find it there in the upper tank, and normally they fail because the little float comes off the rod containing the reed switch.

Offline BILLPOD

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2022, 06:50:08 pm »
Good Morning iXod,  If it was mine, I would be tearing it apart to see what makes it tic, so to speak.  A lot of questions can be answered by examining the 'innards'.  But that's just me. :popcorn:

Offline Renate

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2022, 10:28:51 am »
Normally a water level switch...
As running out of water occurs often I would think that there would be a front panel indicator for that?

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2022, 11:58:24 am »
Giant bottle on top made from transparent plastic. Think that can act as indicator well enough.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf