Electronics > Repair

FLIR EX320 repair: Need some help :)

(1/2) > >>

mlefe:
Hi guys, I'm repairing a FLIR EX320 that I broke by messing with its batteries  :-- |O
The symptom is that the camera freezes while booting: some data on the RS232 shows that the motherboard isn't identified (it says MACT 00 instead of MACT 04) and after loading the app piece just sits without showing anything on the screen.

While trying to gather some information on what could be broken, I've encountered the components shown in the pictures.
All of them *seemed* to be capacitors with two extra legs on the sides to help mechanically. All of them were shorted which seems very weird already as they're from different circuits (they're not connected to each other).

Strangely enough, some of them were on the I/O lines (RS232 RX and USB+) and those work fine... how could that be?
I've desolder them hoping to eliminate the shorts (that happened) but now the camera doesn't even "talk" on the RS232.

Here are my questions:
* Can you confirm that these are indeed capacitors? (ignore the one that appears white, that's the flash reflection: they're all brown)
* Do you have any thoughts on where to go from here?

Thank you!

Miti:
Those are feed through capacitors.

https://www.digikey.ca/en/products/detail/murata-electronics/NFM3DCC222R1H3L/5333681?utm_adgroup=Filters&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Shopping_Supplier_Murata%20Electronics_0490_Co-op&utm_term=&productid=5333681&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI-8Susdf58QIVo2xvBB0pKA8TEAQYASABEgIq0fD_BwE

mlefe:
I was doing some research and those look to be feedthrough capacitors: that would explain why they seem shorted, why they're sitting on the comms and why some things stopped working when I've desoldered them.
Going back to the 2nd question, do you have any advise as to how to trace what could have been damaged? What could explain that I'm able to have a partial boot but that it can't read the morherboard id?
Thanks!

mlefe:

--- Quote from: Miti on July 23, 2021, 05:10:48 pm ---Those are feed through capacitors.

https://www.digikey.ca/en/products/detail/murata-electronics/NFM3DCC222R1H3L/5333681?utm_adgroup=Filters&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Shopping_Supplier_Murata%20Electronics_0490_Co-op&utm_term=&productid=5333681&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI-8Susdf58QIVo2xvBB0pKA8TEAQYASABEgIq0fD_BwE

--- End quote ---
Thanks for the confirmation!  :-+

Miti:
If you broke it by “messing with its batteries”, the first you need to check is the power section. Most likely you blew a voltage regulator. See what voltages you can measure on the supply pins of the ICs that you can identify and compare with the requirements in the data sheet.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version