Author Topic: Fluke 175 bad EEPROM  (Read 7084 times)

Offline lavadiscoTopic starter

Fluke 175 bad EEPROM
« on: August 28, 2018, 03:51:59 pm »
I have a Fluke 175 with an EEPROM error. In any mode, the display just says "EEPr Err" over and over. I called Fluke, and the cost of repairing this is close enough to buying a new one that it's not worth it. Wondering if anyone has ever replaced their EEPROM and is the Fluke code out there in the wild?

Offline labjr

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Fluke 175 bad EEPROM
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2018, 04:16:04 pm »
Doesn't have a lifetime warranty?

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2018, 04:17:33 pm »
Not according to the rep I spoke to. Maybe I got somebody on a bad day?

Offline labjr

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2018, 04:23:07 pm »
Pretty sure the 170 series comes with a lifetime warranty. Not sure about the specifics though?

I wonder if the EEPROM is just corrupted and what type it is? Perhaps you can clip onto it and reprogram it? But you'd need the file.

What do they want to repair it?

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2018, 04:30:05 pm »
I don't recall the cost, it's been a few months since I inquired about it. I think it warrants another call, will report back.

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2018, 05:33:34 pm »
This family of meters uses MSP430 devices which have internal Flash memory plus a small area called Information Memory, which is usually used to store rarely changing data such as calibration, serial numbers, etc. I don't know what Fluke calls it EEPROM, but it may either be something internal to the main device or external. Also, it probably holds calibration data, therefore re-programming it would at least require a calibration service.

If you bought it new, I am pretty sure you have a case for a warranty repair. If you bought it second hand, I am not sure if Fluke honors their warranty in this case - it may depend on who you talk to.
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Offline JFJ

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2018, 05:49:39 pm »

(From https://www.fluke.com/en-gb/product/electrical-testing/digital-multimeters/fluke-175 ).

Perhaps, you need to register the meter with Fluke first.

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2018, 05:51:52 pm »
Thank you! This forum is great.

Offline retiredcaps

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2018, 07:22:09 pm »
Regarding Fluke lifetime warranty. See page 2 in the owner's manual.

http://assets.fluke.com/manuals/175_____umeng0000.pdf

Lifetime Limited Warranty

Each Fluke 20, 70, 80, 170 and 180 Series DMM will be free from defects in material and workmanship for its lifetime. As used herein, “lifetime” is defined as seven years after Fluke discontinues manufacturing the product, but the warranty period shall be at least ten years from the date of purchase. This warranty does not cover fuses, disposable batteries, damage from neglect, misuse, contamination, alteration, accident or abnormal conditions of operation or handling, including failures caused by use outside of the product’s specifications, or normal wear and tear of mechanical components. This warranty covers the original purchaser only and is not transferable.

For ten years from the date of purchase, this warranty also covers the LCD. Thereafter, for the lifetime of the DMM, Fluke will replace the LCD for a fee based on then current component acquisition costs.

To establish original ownership and prove date of purchase, please complete and return the registration card accompanying the  product, or register your product on h ttp://www.fluke.com. Fluke will, at its option, repair at no charge, replace or refund the purchase price of a defective product purchased through a Fluke authorized sales outlet and at the applicable international price. Fluke reserves the right to charge for importation costs of repair/replacement parts if the product purchased in one country is sent for repair elsewhere.

Offline ddcc

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2018, 05:32:18 pm »
I had a similar problem with one of the Fluke 17X multimeters. If it's new enough to lack a separate EEPROM, with everything stored inside the main MSP430 processor, it's not easy to fix manually. The code protection will likely be set, as it was on my unit. There are some known weaknesses in the bootloader on the specific MSP430 chip they're using, but in the end I decided it wasn't worth my time and sent the unit back to Fluke for repair: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/microcontrollers/msp430-programming-dumping/ . They didn't ask for proof of purchase or anything (I'm not the original owner), repaired the unit and replaced the top cover (one of the internal plastic screw bosses was cracked), and sent it back with a performance test certificate.

Offline retiredcaps

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2018, 12:12:53 am »
One other way to possibly get free repair.  Some Fluke 170 series were recalled.

"Recalled units have a serial number below 79000000."

https://www.cpsc.gov/Recalls/2002/CPSC-Fluke-Corp-Announce-Recall-of-Digital-Multimeters

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf