Electronics > Repair

Fluke 179 Multimeter Fuse

(1/7) > >>

bostonman:
Think I accidentally blew the 440mA fuse in my Fluke 179.

These replacement ones seem costly ($7.49 on Amazon). Does anyone know where to find similar lower cost versions?

bdunham7:
They're expensive and apparently commonly faked.  I believe the ones from Witonics are genuine, but I couldn't prove it.  I'd stick with a reliable supplier and live with the expense.  You can buy a 5-pack of these from TEquipment for under $30.

bostonman:
I hadn't considered fake ones, but this is good to keep in mind.

You're correct on not chancing cheaper priced ones that could be fake because one can save a few bucks, but end up blowing an expensive meter.

Fluke could have used standard versions, but bet they did this so you have to buy their fuses.

bdunham7:

--- Quote from: bostonman on September 26, 2022, 03:44:56 am ---Fluke could have used standard versions, but bet they did this so you have to buy their fuses.

--- End quote ---

No, they did that to meet safety requirements and prevent you from turning yourself into ash when you accidentally short out an industrial service panel with your meter because you left the leads in the current sockets.  Look at the interrupt ratings on those fuses--the small one can interrupt a fault current of 10,000 amps.

Edit:  Case in point...

https://www.ecmweb.com/safety/arc-flash/article/20898038/the-case-of-the-deadly-arc-flash

Black Phoenix:
Exactly. There is a reason why such fuses are used, not because it is what a brand wants to milk money from the consumer.

Case and point other brands of equipment that are certified for such work and have the proper international safety certifications use same kind of fuses or of similar construction.

Normally I bash Fluke because of their price practices, lack of innovation and "milking" 20+ year old designs with minor updates (87 series for example) but in terms of safety they are second to none, together with other brands as Brymen, Hioki, Amprobe, Gossen Metrawatt and Kyoritsu.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version