Author Topic: Fluke 189 won't power up  (Read 628 times)

Offline RadioNZTopic starter

• Give me RF and lots of it!
Fluke 189 won't power up
« on: May 01, 2024, 04:23:58 am »
I have a dead Fluke 189.
So far I have determined there is power getting to the LT1307 switching IC, but nothing after that.
This suggests the IC is bad.
Before I go ordering some, I thought I would ask here in case someone else has encountered this same issue and worked their way through it.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2024, 10:38:56 am by RadioNZ »

Offline jchw4

• Regular Contributor
Re: Fluke 189 won't power up
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2024, 08:44:53 am »
I shared some high-resolutions photos here: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/repair/sick-fluke-89-iv-(fluke-189)/msg3574496/

I have a dead Fluke 189.
So far I have determined there is power getting to the LT1037 switching IC, but nothing after that.
Before I go ordering some, I thought I would ask here in case someone else has encountered this same issue and worked their way through it.

Did you mean LT1307 ? I cannot read IC mark on your photo, but in my case it was LT1307.

Did you check the SHUTDOWN pin?
I.e. are you sure the power button works?

Offline RadioNZTopic starter

• Give me RF and lots of it!
Re: Fluke 189 won't power up
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2024, 04:54:03 am »
I shared some high-resolutions photos here: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/repair/sick-fluke-89-iv-(fluke-189)/msg3574496/

I have a dead Fluke 189.
So far I have determined there is power getting to the LT1037 switching IC, but nothing after that.

Did you mean LT1307 ? I cannot read IC mark on your photo, but in my case it was LT1307.

Did you check the SHUTDOWN pin?
I.e. are you sure the power button works?

Yes sorry, I got the numbers a bit confused. LT1307 - sorted now.
The photo I put up was just to reference which IC it is and the relative location.

I've done some more testing and the LT1307 is definitely toast.
The SHDN pin was sitting at 2.1 volts, but if I connected it to the Vin pin everything started working.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf