Author Topic: Fluke 33X series clamp meter segments swapped  (Read 1960 times)

Offline ShockTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Fluke 33X series clamp meter segments swapped
« on: February 25, 2016, 06:39:48 am »
Looking at a Fluke 33X series clamp meter with a display issue, seems some of the segments are swapped or transposed in some way. Occurs on all measurements and otherwise the clamp meter seems operational.

When on AC and DC and Amps the display shows A.A instead of 0.0
- segments D and G are swapped on both digits.

When on Ohms the display shows 0 n instead of 0 L
- segments D and G are swapped and possibly F and C.

I cleaned and swapped the two conductive rubber pads around and upside down several times which I'm fairly sure should have showed different symptoms if a cause. I also cleaned the PCB contacts and display contacts.

I lifted the backlight and cleaned the circuit and IC underneath, around the IC area I got a strange blue dye/ink so I cleaned that until removed. I did this without removing the backlight so couldn't get a good look at where it came from. It may have been a date stamp on the back of the backlight or something as there was a smudge there as well that I cleaned off.

Any ideas?

« Last Edit: February 25, 2016, 06:47:40 am by Shock »
Soldering/Rework: Pace ADS200, Pace MBT350
Multimeters: Fluke 189, 87V, 117, 112   >>> WANTED STUFF <<<
Oszilloskopen: Lecroy 9314, Phillips PM3065, Tektronix 2215a, 314

Offline rf+tech

• Frequent Contributor
  • Real radios are olive drab
Re: Fluke 33X series clamp meter segments swapped
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2016, 02:37:41 pm »
Shock,

Very odd problem. My first thought, because the photo is tiny, that the LCD may be installed upside down. So off to Google Images in search for a larger image.

Selecting the largest image available landed me on Fluke 33x Recall page:

http://en-us.fluke.com/customer-service/safety-notices/33x-recall.html

A bit off on a tangent, perhaps your meter is covered and the display problem is related as described:

Through quality assurance tests, we have discovered a potential short circuit connection on the circuit board. This may lead to inaccurate voltage readings including a low or no voltage reading on a circuit energized with a hazardous voltage. This finding could create a hazardous situation if the user were to contact live voltage based on an erroneous instrument reading.

RF+ Tech
RT-1133 AN/PRC-70  *  RT-794 AN/PRC-74  *  RT-841 AN/PRC-77  *  RT-524 AN/VRC-12  *  RT-834 AN/GRC-106  *  RT-F100

Offline ShockTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Re: Fluke 33X series clamp meter segments swapped
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2016, 03:45:51 pm »
Its not in the recall. The other display symbols seem fine it's only ever a few segments swapped around on each digit. I didn't take a photo of it but it's as described.
Soldering/Rework: Pace ADS200, Pace MBT350
Multimeters: Fluke 189, 87V, 117, 112   >>> WANTED STUFF <<<
Oszilloskopen: Lecroy 9314, Phillips PM3065, Tektronix 2215a, 314

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf