Author Topic: Trimmer Caps thin plastic film cover  (Read 512 times)

Offline todorpTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Trimmer Caps thin plastic film cover
« on: December 23, 2020, 09:13:16 am »
Hello all, I was changing the compensation trimmer cap in an oscilloscope probe. The replacement I am using is Murata TZB4Z060BB10R00 ( https://www.digikey.it/product-detail/en/murata-electronics-north-america/TZB4Z060BB10R00/490-11907-1-ND/2604957 ).

The Murata trimmer cap seems to have a very thing plastic sheet covering the whole top part of the component which prevents the insertion of the trimming tool. Is this normal/standard on trimming caps? Does one have to remove this plastic in some way and if yes than how do you remove it?

Thanks a lot,
    Tod

Offline shakalnokturn

• Super Contributor
Re: Trimmer Caps thin plastic film cover
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2020, 09:57:17 am »
I've noticed remains of plastic film on mounted SMD trim caps before, the Murata datasheet for yours says it's a protective coating for bath soldering .
If there's no easy way to peel it and it's not designed to shrivel away to the edges when heated just pierce through it.

Is the voltage rating on that trimmer sufficient for the application?

Offline todorpTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Re: Trimmer Caps thin plastic film cover
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2020, 10:15:11 am »
@shakalnokturn thanks for the answer, I had not managed to remove it so just as you suggest I will pierce through it. The rating of the trimmer is 100V and is sufficient for the projects I have been doing: I am measuring only low voltages (max 30V). Than again the trimmer forms a 10:1 voltage divider so there shouldn't be any problems right?!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf