Author Topic: Fluke 77 Series 2 current measurement problem  (Read 469 times)

Offline Robert Smith Eco WarriorTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Fluke 77 Series 2 current measurement problem
« on: May 15, 2021, 08:36:13 am »
Hi All,
I was checking my off grid inverter grounding yesterday before connecting my oscilloscope. There was a very small voltage between battery negative and the inverter ground, also oscilloscope ground. I didn't think this would cause much current so as a check I tried my multimeter on the 10 Amp range and got nothing and then tried it on the 300mA range and got nothing. I was wondering if I had inadvertently blown the two internal fuses so thought I would just check across a fairly flat AA battery to check if the fuses were intact. Oddly I got a reading of 0.2A on the 10A input and 58mA on the 300mA input. The selector dial was not moved when doing the swap, just unplugging the lead from the 10A hole to the 300mA hole.
Anyone had a similar problem or know what the problem may be?
I shall try it again shortly but also try my son's two multimeters too to figure out what the reading is meant to be.

Offline Robert Smith Eco WarriorTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Re: Fluke 77 Series 2 current measurement problem
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2021, 09:34:41 am »
I may have found a slight oddness..
I have compared my son's extech multimeters and my fluke and they both do odd things when checking the current an AA battery can deliver. I think it must be the battery's capability to provide current when being connected across the different current shunt resistors. I shall try the multimeters on my power supply and various resistors. Maybe the fluke and extech meters are fine unless you try to test current across a pretty flat AA battery  :o

Offline mzacharias

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Fluke 77 Series 2 current measurement problem
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2021, 01:54:31 pm »
The results you got with the flat battery on each current input jack look completely normal to me.

If the Fluke had a separate micro-amp function, which it does not, then the selector switch would be involved.

In this case, the amp and milli-amp jacks are always connected to their shunt resistors, a few ohms for the milli-amps, and "point something" for the 10 amp function.

This also explains why the current values were different.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf