Electronics > Repair

FLUKE 80K - 40 kV High Voltage Probe - Tear Down and Repair

(1/6) > >>

HighVoltage:
I got this Fluke 80K - 40 kV High Voltage Probe for free in a broken and dead state and since I have to take it apart anyways for the repair attempt, I thought to document the repair here.

Problems:
- 999 Mega Ohm resistor is broken at the end
- 1 Mega Ohm resistor seems to be dead (Open)
- Cable broken (and far too stiff)
- dual banana plug broken
- High Voltage tip broken.

First, I need to find a way to attach the 999 MOhm resistor to the front tip again.

Alex Eisenhut:
Very nice! I have a RCA probe like this. Clean the 999M resistor before putting it back in. Your fingerprints are basically HV short circuits.

Smith:
Solder the same points together carefully, and exacly in the center. I used some epoxy to bond them together, as the solder connection broke quite fast when I turned the tip back on.

bktemp:
If it is impossible to repair the resistor: You can easily get 1G resistors rated at up to 50kV.

HighVoltage:

--- Quote from: Smith on November 21, 2016, 06:47:02 am ---Solder the same points together carefully, and exacly in the center. I used some epoxy to bond them together, as the solder connection broke quite fast when I turned the tip back on.

--- End quote ---
This resistor tip/metal must be some kind of stainless steel because no solder is sticking to it.
Even right in the center, I can not get any solder to flow.

So, I think I will solve this problem very differently.
I drilled a 2.6 mm hole in to the metal adapter of the tip and inserted an Ingun spring loaded test-pin.
This should work great, as far as it looks now.
I just have to build a ring guide for the resistor out of PTFE (Teflon) so it will stay in the center of the probe.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version