Author Topic: How to drop 14V AC to 12V AC to supply a 12V AC SELV bathroom extractor fan?  (Read 669 times)

Offline mpTopic starter

I have a new low voltage 12V AC SELV bathroom extractor fan that somehow needs to be wired to an old 14V AC transformer (measured with a voltmeter). The transformer was designed to be 12V AC but is delivering 14V. The 14V cable end sits in a 100mm wall duct ready to wired to a fan. I have no access to the transformer hidden in the ceiling above the bathroom to be able to replace it.

What's the best way to drop the 14V AC to 12V AC, just prior to the fan wiring terminals please?

The following users thanked this post: DavidAlfa

Offline IanB

• Super Contributor
Just connect it. It is normal for a "12 V" transformer to measure a slightly higher voltage when not under load. The voltage will drop when the fan is running, and the fan will not care if the voltage is up or down by a volt or two above the nominal value.

If you actually measured 12 V on a 12 V transformer you would have to assume the transformer was faulty.

Offline Jeroen3

• Super Contributor
  • Embedded Engineer
    • jeroen3.nl
Connect the fan? The transformer will drop because it's loaded.
Transformers usually have higher open circuit voltage, doesn't need to be that exact. Does it?

Offline mpTopic starter

Great, thanks both for your help. I just didn't want to risk damaging or reducing the life expectancy of the fan components. So 14V ac no-load voltage is fine, great 😃

If you have any hint or tips to add? Maybe something I should had asked but didn't.

Thanks.

Offline DavidAlfa

• Super Contributor
Transformers willl show way higher voltage than nominal when unloaded, measure again but connecting a 100ohm resisto.
If mesuring 14V unloaded, the working voltage will be maybe 9-10V, no more!
Just connect it, even if it was really 2V more, it wouldn't make any difference.
Hantek DSO2x1x            Drive        FAQ          DON'T BUY HANTEK! (Aka HALF-MADE)
Stm32 Soldering FW      Forum      Github      Donate

Offline hussamaldean

• Supporter
Hi,
just connect the fan directly.
It won't be an issue.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf