Author Topic: Repair tips for 500W Audio Amp  (Read 905 times)

Offline gjhTopic starter

• Contributor
Repair tips for 500W Audio Amp
« on: August 29, 2023, 05:36:08 am »
Any tips for repairing the following Audio Amp - https://www.megamusiconline.com.au/product/behringer-eurolive-vq1500d-15-inch-powered-pa-subwoofer-500-watt/

It seems to be melting the ground wire between the onboard AC socket and PCB before blowing the fuse.     Dont really see anything obvious inside besides a bulging electrolytic cap.   I guess one of the amp/power transitors  could be gone drawing more current.    It's been awhile since I did circuit theory in school.     Apart of purchasing a thermo camera (something Im thinking about for home leak detection)  whats the best way to troubleshoot ?

« Last Edit: August 29, 2023, 05:43:48 am by gjh »

Online Messtechniker

• Frequent Contributor
  • Old analog audio hand - No voodoo.
Re: Repair tips for 500W Audio Amp
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2023, 06:06:07 am »
1.) Measure each capacitor in-circuit.
2.) Extract those which do not measure OK in-circuit.
3.) The replace those which do not measure OK out of circuit.
Agilent 34465A, Siglent SDG 2042X, Hameg HMO1022, R&S HMC 8043, Peaktech 2025A, Voltcraft VC 940, M-Audio Audiophile 192, R&S Psophometer UPGR, 3 Transistor Testers, DL4JAL Transistor Curve Tracer, UT622E LCR meter

The following users thanked this post: gjh

Offline gjhTopic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2023, 06:46:00 am »
1.) Measure each capacitor in-circuit.
2.) Extract those which do not measure OK in-circuit.
3.) The replace those which do not measure OK out of circuit.

Will give that a go.    I have a ESR Meter as well :)   

Offline mengfei

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2023, 07:41:15 am »
Isolate & Test

Isolate the Power supply section from the AMP & the test the supply alone then you can go from there
for power amps usually it's the output or power supply problem. Sometimes some relays gets stuck too
take it out of the metal casing & just check the PCBA making sure that there is adequate GND

Online Messtechniker

• Frequent Contributor
  • Old analog audio hand - No voodoo.
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2023, 12:37:55 pm »
When testing power supplies on their own,
dont forget that some will need a load. :horse:
Agilent 34465A, Siglent SDG 2042X, Hameg HMO1022, R&S HMC 8043, Peaktech 2025A, Voltcraft VC 940, M-Audio Audiophile 192, R&S Psophometer UPGR, 3 Transistor Testers, DL4JAL Transistor Curve Tracer, UT622E LCR meter

Offline knudsenuk

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2023, 01:46:25 pm »
Agree, isolate the psu first, emulate the psu with a bench psu (with current limiting) connected to the amplifier module and also measure the DC offset on the output which I suspect will be skewed heavily in favor of one supply rail, giving you an indication of the likely failure, also one rail will be drawing much more current from the supply. Obviously if it is a genuine 500w then it it may be hard to the operating voltage from a bench psu. 

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf