Author Topic: Focusrite Saffire pro 24 dsp  (Read 1565 times)

Offline mykiaTopic starter

Focusrite Saffire pro 24 dsp
« on: March 16, 2019, 11:47:27 am »
I have a problem with my Saffire Pro 24 sound card and would like to find the service manual to see if I can repair it. The card has stopped communicating with the PC and so I believe the firewire port is broken. I searched around and found no one who shared this, anyone can help me, could send me messages directly about it. I would like to try replacing the component that manages the firewire but the repair manual at this point is necessary.
Thank you, Michele  ;D ::)

Offline cncjerry

• Supporter
Re: Focusrite Saffire pro 24 dsp
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2019, 11:51:28 pm »
does that device also have USB and if so, does the USB work?  Firewire and USB devices are pretty standard, USB seems to have more options.  '

Jerry

Offline DaJMasta

• Super Contributor
    • medpants.com
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2019, 01:04:30 am »
Connectors and other things that endure mechanical stress can be the culprit if it otherwise seems to power up normally, could be a starting point to check, at least.

Don't know if there is a service manual available, since it's more modern consumer grade gear, I'd assume not.  What do you have in terms of equipment that could be used to figure out what's wrong?  What have you tried?

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2019, 10:49:15 pm »
The device does not communicate with the PC probably it is the fiewire port and I was hoping to be able to repair it with
the help of the wiring diagram and the components but they are difficult to find. I also asked for Focusrite but I have not received a reply so far 8)

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2019, 10:54:09 pm »
Here is the picture of the interior from the board the ICs circled in blue should be the offending ones

Offline KhronX

• Frequent Contributor
    • Khron's Cave - Electronics Blog
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2019, 10:54:33 pm »
No idea whether you managed to fix this or not in the mean time, but if the Firewire communication doesn't work anymore, more often than not, it's the interface chip that kicked the bucket.

In this unit, that's a Texas Instruments TSB41AB1 - should be around 5$/pc or so. I got mine from Mouser, with a few other bits and bobs to get over the free-shipping threshold.

Either way, i actually fixed a Pro 24 DSP with just this issue not long ago.
https://khronscave.blogspot.com/2019/03/35-focusrite-saffire-pro-24-dsp.html

PS: Those two chips circled in blue that [ahem] "should be the offending ones" are 99.8% definitely NOT the issue.
The one near the quartz crystal is a 1.8V linear regulator (LM1117, i think) for supplying the core voltage to the Dice Mini main processor, and the one on the DSP daughterboard is, surprise-surprise, another linear regulator (LP38692) for the (core?) supply voltage of the DSP chip. Because logic.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2019, 10:58:40 pm by KhronX »
Khron's Cave - Electronics - Audio - Teardowns - Mods - Repairs - Projects - Music - Rants - Shenanigans

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf