Author Topic: Repair an AMD R9 380 4GB Graphics Card  (Read 3072 times)

Offline iRonNukeTopic starter

Repair an AMD R9 380 4GB Graphics Card
« on: January 12, 2019, 07:12:10 pm »
Hi I have a completly dead GPU (Sapphire AMD R9 380). No fans spinning, no display out or recognized by computer.

Now I think I found a problem with it. A resistor(?) at PCIe bus seems to be dead. See picture for more. How do I find what type of component this is?

Thanks!

Online wraper

• Supporter
Re: Repair an AMD R9 380 4GB Graphics Card
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2019, 07:15:03 pm »
What do you mean by dead? Looks like polyfuse (resettable fuse), it should have low resistance, almost shorted.

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2019, 08:08:34 pm »
I removed the heatsink and fan and did a testrun. The GPU itself it's getting lukewarm. Memory cold. Got 12V (and 3.3V) at some points so it isn't completely dead.

Is that component at the attached picture a polyfuse? When I measured the resistance over that component it was an interruption.

Offline DaJMasta

• Super Contributor
    • medpants.com
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2019, 08:39:36 pm »
An interruption?  A short?  It should read as a short or nearly a short for normal operation.

Not recognized by the computer at all is definitely pcie interface related, but I think on modern cards that's all straight into the GPU.  While there could be a little bit in between it, the GPU is either not fully powering up (power component fault) or is the fault itself.

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2019, 08:43:29 pm »
Yes an interuption. I bridged the component but still no go. Didn't test out if the GPU as getting warm before that procedure due.

Do you guys know any particular places to measure on this PCB?

More information is that I think it got really hot before (or during) it died. Seems that some liquid (from the solder?) has flowed over the PCB at some places, like at the VRAM and around the PCIe slot.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2019, 08:48:10 pm by iRonNuke »

Offline Bashstreet

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2019, 05:47:33 pm »
Yes an interuption. I bridged the component but still no go. Didn't test out if the GPU as getting warm before that procedure due.

Do you guys know any particular places to measure on this PCB?

More information is that I think it got really hot before (or during) it died. Seems that some liquid (from the solder?) has flowed over the PCB at some places, like at the VRAM and around the PCIe slot.

Sorry for the card  :P

It really is not good idea to short a fuse as fuse broke for a reason (there was some other problem that caused too high current flow)
Fuse blew in attempt to protect further damage and bridging it can lead to this damage.

Any case what is done is done.

I would think the most common faults will be GPU VRAM and if these are done card is done as it is not feasible or cost efficient to replace those components most of times.

Voltage regulators can also become faulty maybe someone can help further.

Best of luck !

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf