Author Topic: Garden Shredder problem  (Read 1374 times)

Offline turgleTopic starter

Garden Shredder problem
« on: June 10, 2023, 03:04:23 pm »
My garden shredder stopped working so I replaced the capacitor and now when I turn it on the motor starts accelerates faster and faster for a few seconds, in reverse, then switches itself off. Anyone know whats going wrong? Thanks.

Offline barshatriplee

• Regular Contributor
  • !
Re: Garden Shredder problem
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2023, 01:57:21 pm »
When you replaced the capacitor in your garden shredder, it's possible that there might be an issue with the wiring or the motor itself. Here are a few possibilities to consider:

Ensure that you have replaced the old capacitor with the correct one in terms of capacitance value and voltage rating. Using an incorrect capacitor can lead to unexpected motor behavior and potentially damage the motor.
Double-check the wiring connections you made during the capacitor replacement. Verify that you have connected the capacitor correctly and that all other wires are properly secured and in the right places. Incorrect wiring can cause abnormal motor behavior.

There might be an issue with the motor windings, such as a short circuit or a fault in the winding insulation. This can lead to the motor accelerating rapidly in reverse before shutting off as a protective measure. A faulty motor might require professional repair or replacement.

Offline gnif

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2023, 04:05:56 pm »
When you replaced the capacitor in your garden shredder, it's possible that there might be an issue with the wiring or the motor itself. Here are a few possibilities to consider:

Ensure that you have replaced the old capacitor with the correct one in terms of capacitance value and voltage rating. Using an incorrect capacitor can lead to unexpected motor behavior and potentially damage the motor.
Double-check the wiring connections you made during the capacitor replacement. Verify that you have connected the capacitor correctly and that all other wires are properly secured and in the right places. Incorrect wiring can cause abnormal motor behavior.

There might be an issue with the motor windings, such as a short circuit or a fault in the winding insulation. This can lead to the motor accelerating rapidly in reverse before shutting off as a protective measure. A faulty motor might require professional repair or replacement.

Why have you suddenly started pasting AI generated content!?

The following users thanked this post: Psi, mikerj, MK14

Online Kim Christensen

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2023, 04:14:30 am »
Sounds like you may have mixed up the main and run windings. Usually, the start winding (The one with the capacitor) is the one with the higher resistance.
Here's a quick guide to figure out which winding is which.

Offline gnif

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2023, 09:46:40 am »

Why have you suddenly started pasting AI generated content!?

No response and the user is still posting AI content elsewhere on the forum. Removing them.

The following users thanked this post: SeanB, mikerj, MK14, Jon_S

Offline wilfred

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2023, 11:16:09 am »
Is posting AI content forbidden?

Edit. I decided to re-read the forum rules but found no mention of AI. I hadn't heard of it before.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2023, 11:19:29 am by wilfred »

Offline Ian.M

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2023, 11:41:13 am »
Arguably, anyone running an AI 'bot' here is infringing rule 9: "No accounts impersonating other people will be allowed."

Also see: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/chatgptai/should-chatgpt-bots-be-banned-from-the-eevblog-forum/ (TLDR: Dave mostly concurs with the majority opinion.)

At the end of the day, its Dave's dollar so Dave's rules, not all of which are explicitly stated (nor will they ever be, as that encourages rules lawyers.)

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2023, 05:01:14 pm »
I've tried switching the connections round but it made no difference.

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2023, 05:03:01 pm »
They were one of just two people who tried to help me  |O

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2023, 05:04:54 pm »
Hi. I'm just a man who wants to get his garden shredder working. I nobody else has any ideas I suppose I will just have to save up for another shredder. Anyone?  :-//

Offline themadhippy

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2023, 05:46:50 pm »
could be the centrifugal switch  is buggered.

Offline wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2023, 06:04:15 pm »
Likely you connected winding in opposite direction or connected other end of capacitor to a wrong mains wire. If your shredder has a reverse functionality, it may be more complicated.

Online bdunham7

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2023, 06:09:36 pm »
If your shredder has a reverse functionality, it may be more complicated.

This. ^^

OP, can you post good photos of your shredder and maybe a model number?  It is really hard to provice specific advice without specific information.  I don't see how replacing the capacitor would make it run backwards unless you miswired it or something else is broken or got broken.  My PAPER shredder has a reversing switch that, in case of a jam, makes it go backwards for a few seconds and then shut off.  Perhaps your garden shredder does the same? 
A 3.5 digit 4.5 digit 5 digit 5.5 digit 6.5 digit 7.5 digit DMM is good enough for most people.

Offline wilfred

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2023, 11:13:30 am »
Arguably, anyone running an AI 'bot' here is infringing rule 9: "No accounts impersonating other people will be allowed."

Also see: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/chatgptai/should-chatgpt-bots-be-banned-from-the-eevblog-forum/ (TLDR: Dave mostly concurs with the majority opinion.)

At the end of the day, its Dave's dollar so Dave's rules, not all of which are explicitly stated (nor will they ever be, as that encourages rules lawyers.)

I don't think I'd regard that thread as a substitute for an announced forum rule. Only 180 responses out of the thousands of active forum members is not a strong majority of members. If the rule is sufficient to ban someone then it should actually be a rule.

I don't know how that poster was communicated with. It sounds a bit like the thread where Amazon closed some persons smart home from service. They didn't try hard enough. And I don't think the AI response (if it was) was unhelpful or disruptive to the thread or the forum. I think cancelling them was an overreaction and unwarranted in this case.

Offline Ian.M

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2023, 12:10:40 pm »
At the end of the day, your opinion, and mine are only that: OPINIONS, as we don't own any part of EEVblog, and haven't been granted any special powers here.   Dave's opinion is the one that counts, though all evidence suggests he does consider the opinions of his moderators + other users he respects.  If you think the moderation policy (as revealed by moderator actions) for AI bots and suspected AI generated content is wrong, take the discussion to the topic I linked.  As Dave started it, odds are he'll see your response.

--
You couldn't pay me enough to take on moderating a forum full of cranky engineers and techs!  Massive *RESPECT* to the unpaid volunteer mods here.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2023, 12:16:41 pm by Ian.M »

Offline Whales

• Super Contributor
    • Halestrom
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2023, 12:12:02 pm »
EDIT: Had wrong forum member's name, apologies.

And I don't think the AI response (if it was) was unhelpful or disruptive to the thread or the forum.

The answer given was bad.  The fact they are "obvious AI" simply means that they will be consistently bad.  These two things combine to make AI replies a very easy ban in most communities.

Large language models created with unsupervised learning (chatgpt and its kin) are able to generate answers that look legitimate, but are in actual fact misleading or plain wrong.  They are very good at using artistic license (great for creative works) but very poor at respecting other forum members (abysmal at technical & social works).  In other words they lie.

The reply by barshatriplee is, in this case, only wrong and frustrating (especially for the OP if they believe what it writes).  It is not clearly unsafe in this particular circumstance (it's not recommending a dangerous procedure). 

I think cancelling them was an overreaction and unwarranted in this case.

Perhaps.  Banning people isn't perfect.  I hope barshatriplee finds a way of contributing their own non-bot answers again.

When you replaced the capacitor in your garden shredder, it's possible that there might be an issue with the wiring or the motor itself.

It is highly unlikely the device had this issue before the capacitor was replaced.

If the bot could read photos it would see that the cap is correct.   Instead it's wasting time and potentially sowing doubt in the mind of the OP about the cap choice, something I do not want to do to them.

Double-check the wiring connections you made during the capacitor replacement.

turgle: This is the most likely to be correct answer.  Hidden in a list of many incorrect suggestions.

I suspect you have mixed up the wires.  Induction motors will run in reverse if you re-arrange the wires in certain ways.  The turn-off might be caused by a mechanical issue (perhaps it jams when spinning backwards) or by a thermal switch detecting overheat (perhaps you have mixed up the run coil & the cap coil, the latter overheats if miswired).

That's fun to think about. It would need some very creative short circuits in the field coils for a single-phase induction motor to go in reverse. 
« Last Edit: June 14, 2023, 12:36:07 pm by Whales »

The following users thanked this post: Ian.M

Offline Ian.M

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2023, 12:20:12 pm »
The reply by bdunham7 is, in this case, only wrong and frustrating (especially for the OP if they believe what it writes).  It is not clearly unsafe in this particular circumstance (it's not recommending a dangerous procedure). 
Why drag bdunham7 into barshatriplee's misdemeanours?

That's fun to think about. It would need some very creative short circuits in the field coils for a single-phase induction motor to go in reverse.
Fun indeed.  Such a fault would need to essentially reverse the flow of current in the major part of one winding, which would require two winding to winding short circuits + two parts of the winding fusing open.  With conventional distributed windings in a slotted stator induction motor construction, I think that's vanishingly improbable.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2023, 12:30:13 pm by Ian.M »

Online bdunham7

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2023, 12:31:43 pm »
I think cancelling them was an overreaction and unwarranted in this case.

Maybe.  We don't know what happened behind the scenes, but I've seen posts from this user before and it just seemed like they have a significant translation issue along with them being new to the forum and maybe not 'fitting in'.  I'd hate to see EEVBlog become cliquish and unwelcoming.  I haven't seen any attempt from this user to spam the forum or commit any fraud.

Skimming their past posts, many appear to be genuine attempts to be helpful.  Admittedly, the one in this thread is clearly not very helpful.  One of the potential uses of AI like ChatGPT is to help non-native speakers to appear more fluent and natural.  Unfortunately, if they don't have a way of reviewing the result, it may appear quite odd and 'AI-like' even though the base content was not AI-generated.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2023, 12:35:41 pm by bdunham7 »
A 3.5 digit 4.5 digit 5 digit 5.5 digit 6.5 digit 7.5 digit DMM is good enough for most people.

Offline Whales

• Super Contributor
    • Halestrom
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2023, 12:36:28 pm »
The reply by bdunham7 is, in this case, only wrong and frustrating (especially for the OP if they believe what it writes).  It is not clearly unsafe in this particular circumstance (it's not recommending a dangerous procedure). 
Why drag bdunham7 into barshatriplee's misdemeanours?

Corrected, thankyou.  Apologies to bdunham7 and barshatriplee.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2023, 12:41:09 pm by Whales »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf