Author Topic: GenComm GC7105B (base station analyzer) stuck on boot  (Read 816 times)

Offline Event0Topic starter

GenComm GC7105B (base station analyzer) stuck on boot
« on: September 28, 2021, 08:19:42 pm »

Hi everyone,
I have recently acquired a GenComm (the company that became JDSU and now VIAVI) GC7105B base station analyzer for my ham radio uses.

The problem is... that it's broken (bought on ebay for 150€), in particular when i turn it on, after the first boot screen, a second boot screen appears and then the analyzer get stuck, i think it might be a "software" related issue. i tried booting it just with the main board (and the front panel) but the problem remains, on the sd card inside there are just a few files.
I couldn't find anything about this product online , no firmware or recovery files, not even a tread about my problem...

I have also tried using JDView and it seems to connect and download data from the Analyzer just fine.

Anyone who has this Analyzer is willing to exchange some info, maybe a way to acquire a new firmware?
« Last Edit: September 28, 2021, 08:23:22 pm by Event0 »

Offline pcwrangler

• Regular Contributor
Re: GenComm GC7105B (base station analyzer) stuck on boot
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2021, 12:01:08 am »
I'm not familiar with that device but if you don't get any other leads try looking for a serial header on the board somewhere. Watching a boot log might provide hints to the problem. Good luck, I hope you fix it. Nice bit of kit for the shack.

Offline testpoint1

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2021, 12:43:22 am »

Hi everyone,
I have recently acquired a GenComm (the company that became JDSU and now VIAVI) GC7105B base station analyzer for my ham radio uses.

The problem is... that it's broken (bought on ebay for 150€), in particular when i turn it on, after the first boot screen, a second boot screen appears and then the analyzer get stuck, i think it might be a "software" related issue. i tried booting it just with the main board (and the front panel) but the problem remains, on the sd card inside there are just a few files.
I couldn't find anything about this product online , no firmware or recovery files, not even a tread about my problem...

I have also tried using JDView and it seems to connect and download data from the Analyzer just fine.

Anyone who has this Analyzer is willing to exchange some info, maybe a way to acquire a new firmware?

you can find the FW chip, try to backup and flash other good FW.

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2021, 12:51:16 am »

Hi. First - I know nothing of this particular unit. But I have repaired a whole lot of test equipment. If you are comfortable taking it apart, I would look for any cables that can be re-seated. Doing this might restore a loose pin and enable some communication or logic level to be restored. Might be worth a try.
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline CJay

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2021, 02:02:22 pm »
If the PC viewer software connects and works then that would indicate the machine is booting, what data are you able to download?

Could it be that the screen isn't 'stuck' and the analyser is is some sort of 'remote' mode where the screen isn't updated?

Offline Qw3rtzuiop

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2021, 03:45:56 pm »
You can try to gain root access with this method: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/repair/jdsu-jd745a-base-station-analyzer-repair-log/msg3425112/#msg3425112

Viavi/JDSU/Gencomm Firmware is usually available here: https://updatemyunit.net

But your unit isnt listed there

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf