Electronics > Repair

Gigabyte GTX 1070 Mini - No fan spin no video, dead cap found? [solved!]

(1/9) > >>

ThingWizard:
Hi!

All of a sudden this morning my computer did not wake from sleep, well it actually woke but there was no video. I tried the graphics card in another computer, same thing. No fan spin no video.

Ok, so I removed the heatsink from the graphics card and found a small black dot on the heat pad just over the vrms. Looks like something got hot.

I took my usb microscope out and saw this:

That capacitor (named C178) looks a bit sad, like something may have sparked here. I tried cleaning it up and re-flow it but the problem still remains.
The problem area is located here (red Arrow):

SO MY QUESTION: If the fan does not spin, I guess it is not getting power, but does the fact that the fan does not spin help me in troubleshooting, and if so in what way? - And, do we know where in the circuit that capacitor is. Are there schematics for these boards?

MY NEXT PLAN is to remove the heatsink and read the voltages coming out of the different rails in the VRM section to try to find the problem. A problem is I don't know what the voltages should be.

Any help really appreciated as graphics card prices are through the roof right now, and my bank account is not :P

Cheers!

coromonadalix:
my Zotac GTX 1060 6gb mini amp edition,  the fans never spins until the card reach a defined temperature, and the speed will increase with the video load ??

the photo looks like a bad smt soldering and overheating and crust migration ??

wraper:
That capacitor is shorted, cleaning or soldering will not help. Trying to power it may only cause more damage. It needs to be replaced or at least removed. Most likely fuse on that 12V power rail is blown as well. IIRC it's 0603 size with 4.7uF capacitance, should be rated for 16V at least. I think that part of VRM was powered from PCI-E slot with fuse located on the other side of PCB somewhere close to the slot on the end with video outputs. 1206 Size 10A fast action.

ThingWizard:

--- Quote ---the photo looks like a bad smt soldering and overheating and crust migration ??
--- End quote ---
Thank you for taking time to respond, that certainly sounds like a possibility. Of course I don't know it that is the problem or not...

I cannot remember if the fan spins on idle or not, but in any case I have no video out.
[EDIT]No they apparently don't
"3D Active Fan
The semi-passive fans will remain off when the GPU is under a set loading or temperature for low power gaming. It allows gamers to enjoy gameplay in complete silence when the system is running light or idle."
https://www.gigabyte.com/fi/Graphics-Card/GV-N1070IXOC-8GD#kf

I'm not getting any warning beeps one usually gets with missing graphics card.

I'll report back when I have measured the voltage on the different "channels".

Also, do you recommend a "bake"? 200c for 8 minutes with a side of fries

wraper:

--- Quote ---I'll report back when I have measured the voltage on the different "channels".
Also, do you recommend a "bake"? 200c for 8 minutes with a side of fries
--- End quote ---
Replace the faulty capacitor and blown fuse. Not destroy extremely easily and cheaply repairable graphics card for no reason  :palm:  |O. That capacitor simply developed internal crack and has shorted.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version