Author Topic: Gigabyte GTX 1070 Mini - No fan spin no video, dead cap found? [solved!]  (Read 7808 times)

Offline wraper

• Supporter
Wow, what a common issue and man did you caps blow but yeah... solder them off, hit it with some Isopropyl Alcohol and it will look better.

@Wraper, if I did not replace the caps, would it still work? Are the caps necessary or just to filter power supply etc?
Those caps are for decoupling RAM VRM IIRC. Some caps are needed there because they are separated from the rest of power rail by ferrite beads. If there are no caps at all, VRM will not work properly.

The following users thanked this post: Dingo_aus

Offline Bichael

Edit - does seem like there's a short so guess that is my main problem.

Thanks for the replies and help! A few more questions if I may.
Had a go at cleaning up as below, though may have gone too far, look okay still to try and put some caps back?
How do I check the F4 on the back (time to get a multimeter I guess) or should I just assume to replace anyway?
Also noticed that LB 20 just above the screw hole is looking pretty gunky, could that be a problem as well?
Just to add it looks like the vrm thermal pad was on a couple of the caps that went so I wonder if overheating contributes to the issue.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2021, 03:15:16 am by Bichael »

Offline Dingo_aus

Yes you will need a multimeter to test if the Fuse F4 is open or short.

You should also test the pads on the board where the Capacitors came from and make there are no shorts between the ends off where the capacitors were.

Offline Dingo_aus

I deleted all 5 of the capacitors there (~C174).

The smaller one was accidental when the iron swiped it. I had been through a few attempts with new caps on but others were short blowing the fuse a few times, so I just tried it without those 5 caps and the thing worked (obviously with a new fuse in it).

I am using it for just constant calculation load rather than games etc, but it has been stable for ~12 hours of run time so far.

Offline ThingWizardTopic starter

• Contributor
Late reply here. I also want to thank everyone for awesome help and great explanations here. My card is still running fine, and has been now for about 3 months daily use.  :-+ :-+ :-+

Offline ThingWizardTopic starter

• Contributor
so I just tried it without those 5 caps and the thing worked (obviously with a new fuse in it).
I am using it for just constant calculation load rather than games etc, but it has been stable for ~12 hours of run time so far.

That's really interesting, over my paygrade to understand how this thing can work without the caps  :scared:  :wtf:  :popcorn:
Congrats on getting it going!

Offline Bichael

My card is back up and running now too, thanks for all the info and tips!
I replaced the fuse but left the caps off as wasn't too confident on putting them back given the state of the pads.
I did get another spark and it looked like maybe C630 had gone, didn't measure short though and seems to be working so will just cross fingers for now.
I did seem to be measuring a short on the original blown cap pads but think may just be the limits of my meter as understand resistances can be very low on some parts of the GPU.

Offline wraper

• Supporter
I did seem to be measuring a short on the original blown cap pads but think may just be the limits of my meter as understand resistances can be very low on some parts of the GPU.
There should be no low resistance and it's most likely the reason why you had that spark. The only place with really low resistance is GPU VCORE.

Offline fedems

Re: Gigabyte GTX 1070 Mini - No fan spin no video, dead cap found? [solved!]
« Reply #33 on: October 15, 2021, 09:39:50 pm »
Hi guys, i got exactly same issue on my gigabyte 1070 mini

F4 fuse open, C175, C176 and C177 capacitors seems to be burnt. Would be really helpfull if someone could give me values or indications to get a replacement for the capacitors and fuse.

Any help would be really appreciated

Ill wait your answer

Offline Dingo_aus

« Reply #34 on: October 16, 2021, 04:34:12 am »
I went with wrappers'  suggestion higher up in the thread.

4.7uF 16v

Since these are decoupling caps I ended up desoldering all the burn ones, replacing the fuse that is also suggested earlier on in the thread and that card has been mining Ethereum for about 5 months straight (24/7) no problems now.

I would suggest ordering more fuses that you think as you might blow a few whilst testing what works.

Offline fedems

« Reply #35 on: October 16, 2021, 02:13:46 pm »
Thanks for your fast reply, I'll try to see if i can get capacitors with those values, in the shops that i ask near my city they have ones for different values in 0603 dimensions. After I replace them I'll let you know how it goes,

Great help, thanks guys.

Offline Dingo_aus

Re: Gigabyte GTX 1070 Mini - No fan spin no video, dead cap found?
« Reply #36 on: October 16, 2021, 06:27:25 pm »
...Most likely fuse on that 12V power rail is blown as well. IIRC it's 0603 size with 4.7uF capacitance, should be rated for 16V at least. I think that part of VRM was powered from PCI-E slot with fuse located on the other side of PCB somewhere close to the slot on the end with video outputs. 1206 Size 10A fast action.

Wraper's exact statement quoted which I followed.

I had to order online from Element14 or similar to get the parts. I actually found the fuse the hardest part to source. Remember it has to be "fast action".

Just a thought from my experience, if you have not soldered to a GPU before you might want to follow my suggestion of deleting the capacitors and trying a new fuse first. I say this because the ground plane on the GPU is a large piece of copper which I had a lot of trouble heating up. This meant I had to purchase a hot air gun to then allow my 60W soldering iron to have a chance of bringing the ground pad up to soldering temp.

Offline Journey

• Contributor
« Reply #37 on: October 29, 2021, 11:42:34 pm »
Hi Wrapper
I just found this posting and have a full size 1070 and have a similar issue with the blown fuse on the 12v PCI-e socket.
So some questions ... have you or anyone else had this issue with the full size card ? I looked for cooked or shorted caps and so far have found none.
Does the full card have the same cap cracking issues ?
I have so far determined two areas on the card that use that 12v PCIe power rail ... 1st is the power feed for the Logo and Fan Stop LED's on top side of card.
2nd is it seems to also feed power to the video memory. I know that the memory doesn't use 12vdc but about 1.5v ... and so far have not been able to find the controller for the two mosfets that feed mem power so as to regulate the 1.5v.
My blown fuse has a 10 written in a green square and looks to be plain white ceramic body.
This doesn't seem to make sense for me as the 12v PCIe socket is only rated for 75 watts. So that 10 amp fuse would allow far more than it's rated 75W ... like about 120W.
I would be putting a 6A which would be 70W
Does this make sense to you ?
Since all I have bee able to find is this blown fuse ... I'm wondering what could have caused this ... bad mem chip ? Have checked for dead shorts on bypass caps for mem and all seems good there.
Any ideas ?

Plus one more question ... regarding the power for the GPU ... I seem to be getting a dead short across the bypass caps for the GPU or so it seems.
I have read that the GPU has a very low resistance across it's power pins ... so would this cause what looks like a short to ground from Vcore ?
I read 0.5 ohms from any of the large inductors to 8 pin power connector GND ... seems to me to be very low ... like way too low.
I have 4 other dead cards and they all exhibit the same readings from any inductor to power GND.
I have to assume this is normal ?
Pics included

Offline Journey

• Contributor
« Reply #38 on: October 30, 2021, 12:46:16 am »
Update to last post .... I missed one of the 12vdc feeds from the PCIe slot ... seems one of the mosfet phases is connected to the slot power.
It's the the first set up from the bottom above the fuse . Possibly a bad fet blew the fuse ...

Offline wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #39 on: October 30, 2021, 07:29:39 am »
Capacitor cracking issue seems to be typical for particular 1070 mini card because they are located very close to a screw hole. On other cards capacitors sometimes fail too but mosfet failure is way more common.

Offline thinkfat

• Supporter
  • This is just a hobby I spend too much time on.
    • Matthias' Hackerstübchen
« Reply #40 on: October 30, 2021, 08:03:50 am »
Might be a good idea to replace them with soft termination caps (AEC-Q200 qualified).
Everybody likes gadgets. Until they try to make them.

Offline Journey

• Contributor
« Reply #41 on: October 31, 2021, 01:58:45 am »
Hi All,
I have another update and some questions
In my 1st post I stated that it looks like there is short from Vcore to GND or in other words a short across the GPU power pins.
I went ahead and removed what I'm pretty sure are  the low side fets ... 12 in all. They all test good on the bench.
The six highside fets test good still on the board ... and there still seems to be a short ... only thing in my mind would be a shorted cap(electro) or the GPU is shorted.
I think wrapper has said that GPU fails are fairly rare ... I included a pic of the meter reading from the drain on the second low side fet to the source of that same fet.
As one can see it looks pretty shorted to me ... less than 0.5 ohms. So we are not seeing a reasonably low ohm reading from the GPU.
To recap ... the fuse F4 blew and it feeds 12v from the card slot which feeds the LED's, Memory and the first fet's drain at the bottom of the high side column of fet's.
The one closest to the fuse and card slot connector. I'm not sure if it is a phase for the overall VRM or not.
The source for this fet is connected to all the other fets so we can probably assume it is a phase as it's source is connected to Vcore.
So any ideas would be welcome at this point.
Do I dare put the fets back on and refuse and try the card out ?
Also the issue of the fuse rating ... I still think 10A is far too much ... I'd go with no more than 6.25 MAYBE 7 tops.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2021, 02:04:30 am by Journey »

Offline wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #42 on: February 29, 2024, 12:24:42 pm »
I still think 10A is far too much ... I'd go with no more than 6.25 MAYBE 7 tops.
Old thread, however I feel I should comment about this. By standard it's allowed to pull 75W from PCI-E slot, some cards even pull somewhat more. That means 6.3A at 12V. So no, you shouldn't use fuse rated for lower current. Especially considered it's a miniaturized fuse.

Offline bte

« Reply #43 on: February 29, 2024, 08:06:00 pm »
I still think 10A is far too much ... I'd go with no more than 6.25 MAYBE 7 tops.
Old thread, however I feel I should comment about this. By standard it's allowed to pull 75W from PCI-E slot, some cards even pull somewhat more. That means 6.3A at 12V. So no, you shouldn't use fuse rated for lower current. Especially considered it's a miniaturized fuse.

Just for completeness: The wikipedia article about PCI Express indicates that 75W is total power from the slot, including 3.3V:
All PCI express cards may consume up to 3 A at +3.3 V (9.9 W). (...) A full-sized x16 graphics card may draw up to 5.5 A at +12 V (66 W) and 75 W combined after initialization and software configuration as a high-power device.

Offline Journey

• Contributor
Hi wraper,
Thanks ... I'm not sure what ended up happening with this card. I think I did get it up and running but unfortunately I think I left it with a slightly under rated fuse as you point out ... For 84W the fuse should be 7 Amp. But thanks for chiming in at such a late date.

Journey

Offline wraper

• Supporter
Hi wraper,
Thanks ... I'm not sure what ended up happening with this card. I think I did get it up and running but unfortunately I think I left it with a slightly under rated fuse as you point out ... For 84W the fuse should be 7 Amp. But thanks for chiming in at such a late date.

Journey
Fuses usually survive up to about 1.5x of rated current in long term, however they may eventually fail, especially if they experience long loading sessions. It depends a lot on ambient temperature and how heat is transfered away from it.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf