Author Topic: Gigabyte NVIDIA GTX 980 Titanium G1- Burnt resistors  (Read 9580 times)

Offline jastrebTopic starter

• Contributor
Gigabyte NVIDIA GTX 980 Titanium G1- Burnt resistors
« on: October 26, 2017, 01:27:10 am »
SO my card recently stopped working and upon taking off the heatsink etc I noticed some burnt components. In the picture below is a whole product image and I have highlighted in yellow the location of the burnt resistors. (bottom right of image). Note this is not a picture of my actual board that has the damage but a hires image i found online for reference.

In the picture below is a close up of my actual card. As you can see those two resistors blew up pretty good. They are R172 and R174. The MOSFET above them is questionable too I think and I cannot find anything on it but I will try and replace with one from the Fairchild family of MOSFETS. I haven't tested it yet but I will do so tonight. I am suspecting anything in that general close proximity to the resistors that blew.

If somebody has the same card and they could give me the values of those resistors I would be grateful. As a bonus feel free to give me the value of the other two resistors and caps in that general area if you feel generous (R171,R136,C177).

I did search for a schematic but I doubt I will ever find one. And if somebody can give me some tips on how I should go about fixing this card apart from just replacing those resistors that would be AWESOME!!!

Thank you all in advance for your time.

Offline Viktor800428

Re: Gigabyte NVIDIA GTX 980 Titanium G1- Burnt resistors
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2017, 01:55:09 pm »
Hi jastreb,

I have exactly the same problem, those 2 resistors have burned to coil. Have you found out the values of them?
If so, have you tried to resolder them?

Thank you!

Offline Samogon

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2017, 05:20:19 pm »
Looks like they are part of the DC-DC converter can you trace where they are connected?

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2018, 03:15:31 am »
Hi jastreb,

I have exactly the same problem, those 2 resistors have burned to coil. Have you found out the values of them?

Thank you!

No I haven't found out unfortunatley. I been away for a bit so I am about to start trying again.

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2018, 03:26:33 am »
Looks like they are part of the DC-DC converter can you trace where they are connected?

I will do so and get back to you with the information.

Offline Bashstreet

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2018, 06:29:22 am »
More importantly why did they blow...  :-BROKE

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2018, 07:30:04 am »
More importantly why did they blow...  :-BROKE

The card was used 24x7 intensively by a researcher for doing calculations so it had a hard life. I want to replace those resistors and that mosfet above it. I just wish I knew the value of them resistors.

Offline Rasz

• Super Contributor
    • My random blog.
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2018, 09:25:48 am »
as insane as it sounds they appear to be used as a fuse :/
jastreb Viktor800428 did you clean your PCBs and traced the pads?
R172  R174 R171 and R136 are all in parallel between one of the power rails and mosfets, like in this card(4Kx2K picture, open in separate tab to see details):

0 ohm links

Edit: not fuse(at least not primarily), they are used to pick which Power rail (6/8 pin socket) will supply Vram DC-DC converter, like in the card above (Q19 Q20). Thats why there are always only 2 resistors and 2 empty spots.

They would work like a poor mans fuse if one of Vram mosfets shorted. Clean the pcb and check for shorts.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2018, 09:36:16 am by Rasz »
Who logs in to gdm? Not I, said the duck.
My fireplace is on fire, but in all the wrong places.

The following users thanked this post: jastreb

Offline rajkosto

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2018, 06:58:48 pm »
something similar happened to my card as well, this is how far ive gotten so far in trying to fix it:

waiting for chinese shipments of the broken mosfets/pwm controller

EDIT: for the back mosfets, i think all they are for is connecting PCI-E power to one of the main power planes so that the card can show an error message if you dont connect up the massive power connectors.
can anyone confirm:
« Last Edit: January 26, 2018, 07:11:56 am by rajkosto »

The following users thanked this post: jastreb

Offline leopoldyy2

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2018, 01:58:37 pm »
whether the card is working

Hello

I have the same problem. I did not burn it so much but I can not read how much they have omh. because they have zero. colleague, write to do it briefly, so give a connection without a resistor, and this will not damage the card more ??

and this is how damage looks like, I can not see anywhere else
« Last Edit: May 07, 2018, 02:02:50 pm by leopoldyy2 »

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2018, 05:21:43 am »
Hi , no I have not done anything with it. I am about to have a look at it again this weekend as the replacement card I bought is now dead. Have you had any luck?
Hi jastreb,

Thank you!

Offline uandric

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2019, 07:43:52 pm »
I was able to fix mine.. here is the video explaining what i did.

https://youtu.be/yD7Ud8fYGaw

Offline vita_tec

« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2020, 01:35:16 am »
hello i have the same GTx 980 TI with burned resistor .
but my burn wear bigger. almost through all layers. this is a bigger project of mine but today i removed the short and the card did the first test. just have to get everything ready. when everything is ready I'll make a video on my youtube channel. you can see briefly what it looks like here on my instagram channel there are pictures and short clips https://www.instagram.com/vita_tec/

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf