Author Topic: Graphics Card Schematics  (Read 15509 times)

Offline egefeyziogluTopic starter

Graphics Card Schematics
« on: August 07, 2018, 02:37:04 pm »
Hi everyone,
I am looking for Asus GTX980 schematics. After spending a decent amount of time on Google, I have started to question if this is even remotely possible. Is it possible as they might be considered trade secrets (though there are an innumerable amount of laptop schematics floating around on the internet, so why wouldn't there be graphics card schematics) to find these kind of schematics online?
If anyone knows a source (or even better has them in hand), I would be thrilled if they could share it with me.  I am willing to pay a reasonable amount  for the schematics (but giving stuff away for free is always good karma *wink* *wink*)

PS: I'm new around here and although I have read the forum rules, this may be considered inapropriate/off-topic. If it is, please reply below saying it is and I will remove the post right away.

Offline cheeseit

• Regular Contributor
Re: Graphics Card Schematics
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2018, 03:33:45 pm »
It's fine asking for schematics here but I unfortunately doubt you'll find any. Maybe Rasz knows a source if it exists and he sees this thread.

Welcome to this fine place :)

Offline Rasz

• Super Contributor
    • My random blog.
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2018, 04:02:35 pm »
Buildzoid is the closest you will find for light reverse engineering of pcb design https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrwObTfqv8u1KO7Fgk-FXHQ/videos
Supposedly there are some ASUS repair guides for authorized service personnel leaked somewhere on the net for their video cards, might have some more detail.
Who logs in to gdm? Not I, said the duck.
My fireplace is on fire, but in all the wrong places.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2018, 05:34:39 pm »
You might find some reference designs from GPU makers but I don't know if any of those are publicly available. Certainly video card manufactures are not going to release schematics, they don't expect people to repair these things. Most of the circuit you can probably figure out pretty easily just by looking at it though. There will be the GPU, some video memory, a ROM, voltage regulators and generally drivers for whatever outgoing interfaces it has.

Offline vaualbus

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2018, 05:51:40 pm »
There no point on a GPU schematics and for sure they will never be released.  You basicly need no schematics as what can be bad are the IC itn self, the ram ic or the VRM which can be check with no schematics.
For sure reflow the gpu no solve the issue, remove and change it make no sense.

Offline Doctorandus_P

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2018, 02:23:10 pm »
There no point on a GPU schematics and for sure they will never be released. 

I'm not so sure about this.
The value is in the chip itself and not in the PCB, nor the connections, and I would not be surprised if those GPU manufactures have application notes on how to use their chips available, but I'm a naive guy.

I'm also confused why you'd want those schematics. Let's see, there is a pci expres bus to the PC, a video connector on the output, a few memory ic's and a chip which does all the rest. If you study the datasheets of the support circuitry you'll probably get a fairly good idea how everything fits together, but you have probably already done that.

Loui Rossman gets his rotten fruit schematics from a program I believe is called "boardview".
I have a vague memory of "laptopschematics.com" or similar.
But sources with that kind of detail/quality of information tend to need to be fed with silver to release their particular order of one's and zero's.

Offline lordvader88

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2018, 07:16:27 pm »
I'd be happy with a detailed overview of GPU/mobo  VRMs for a start. I've yet to find that.

I have a busted HD 5770 and a mobo. I've been too busy to really do anything with them yet, so they are just in the pile.

Offline Rasz

• Super Contributor
    • My random blog.
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2018, 02:14:35 am »
I'd be happy with a detailed overview of GPU/mobo  VRMs for a start. I've yet to find that.

already gave you YT link

Offline coromonadalix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2018, 04:02:51 am »
You don't say what is your problem ?? you want schematics for what ??

Nvidia had lots of bga solder problems on video cards in the past, cooking the board could be a solution ??

Offline cheeseit

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2018, 03:36:40 pm »
That would cook the board.

Offline coromonadalix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2018, 02:40:49 am »
okay  badly written  loll

by cooking   would be re-flowing / re-melting the bga solder balls under the cpu .... there's ton of youtube hins about this and maybe a solution for the op,  if he say what's wrong or why he needs schematics ?

« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2018, 09:11:00 am »
by cooking   would be re-flowing / re-melting the bga solder balls under the cpu .... there's ton of youtube hins about this and maybe a solution for the op,  if he say what's wrong or why he needs schematics ?

Cooking the board usually does not melt the solder balls under the chip. It only messes with the bumps and grooves in the flipchip GPU, temporarily fixing the board. Good if you quickly want to take someyhing off and then throw the chip away, but not a permanent solution.
I have a board a friend gave to me with no video. I haven't done further testing as usually, plugging a broken graphics card to your fully working motherboard it might destroy the motherboard with it.

« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2018, 12:40:26 pm »
Buildzoid is the closest you will find for light reverse engineering of pcb design https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrwObTfqv8u1KO7Fgk-FXHQ/videos
This looks helpful. Hopefully I can get somewhere from there.
Supposedly there are some ASUS repair guides for authorized service personnel leaked somewhere on the net for their video cards, might have some more detail.
Do you have any info on where to find those?

Offline Rasz

• Super Contributor
    • My random blog.
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2018, 12:37:11 am »
Do you have any info on where to find those?

nope, and it might be just a rumour :( Dont remember if it was on badcaps forum, or YT comments.
 Last time I worked as a technician for Authorized Asus distributor was 20 years ago. We didnt have anything like that back then, we didnt need it either as Asus stuff was top quality, maybe 1 defect every >10K motherboards.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf