Electronics > Repair

GW GPC2405 DC Power Supply Repair

(1/3) > >>

Adler:
Hi everyone,
FIRST POST!

I will start by saying that I am not an EE, just an enthusiastic amateur.

I scored a DC power supply from the trash room at my university and I believe it is broken and, since I have no other DC power supplies, I want to fix it.

When powered on, it will provide a constant 5 volts from the fixed voltage output but I get nothing from the master or the slave. The gauges do not move either.

So I popped it open and poked around inside

I tried testing the relays you see there and when I applied voltage to the coil, it did not switch. So I desoldered it and bench tested it and found the same. Put on around 15v and it did nothing.

Am I right in assuming that the relays are probably bad? Or am I going about this wrong?

Thanks for any help.

ElektroQuark:
It works with a 24v nominal in the coil, 15v could not be enought.

Adler:

--- Quote from: EdoNork on November 16, 2012, 03:42:38 pm ---It works with a 24v nominal in the coil, 15v could not be enought.

--- End quote ---

I was worried that might be the case. Unfortunately, I don't have a DC power supply  ::)

I'll look around for a way to generate 24v.

Monkeh:

--- Quote from: Adler on November 16, 2012, 03:48:30 pm ---
--- Quote from: EdoNork on November 16, 2012, 03:42:38 pm ---It works with a 24v nominal in the coil, 15v could not be enought.

--- End quote ---

I was worried that might be the case. Unfortunately, I don't have a DC power supply  ::)

--- End quote ---

Three 9V batteries in series will be fine for operating a relay.

Adler:

--- Quote from: Monkeh on November 16, 2012, 03:57:42 pm ---
--- Quote from: Adler on November 16, 2012, 03:48:30 pm ---

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

Three 9V batteries in series will be fine for operating a relay.

--- End quote ---

Good call, I now know that the desoldered relay is fine. One of the relays still in circuit works fine and the other two do not. Should I desolder them to check them, or can relays be tested in circuit?

Thanks for the help so far.

EDIT: nevermind, I desoldered aother and found that it was fine. Where do you guys recommend I look now?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version